When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project #1 1951 Shelby step-thru

-

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This bike project started me @ theCABE. Although I had 'roamed' @ the site for years; been messing with bikes since the 1950s; I did not join the site until I bought this bike: 06 Oct 2015. My first post was 09 Oct 2015; and, I had lots of things I needed to know... I was retired, and I wanted to play... Here's that post. http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/help-understanding-shelby-serial-no.80036/
Many THANKS to: @rollfaster @rickyd @cds2323 these three guys helped me much, and right away!

In case you didn't want to do the link, here's what the project looked like @ the beginning.
P7 Shelby B4.jpg

P2 Shelby B4.jpg

OK! So, this bike was bought @ a local locksmith establishment... I had returned, after two days, to the shop to pick up a lock I had left to have keys made. This small shop is FULL of [always has been] vintage advertising items. Seems a local man who cleans houses, basements, attics, garages; stops there when his truck is loaded with things for which he thinks he can get cash. He had sold this to the locksmith. I didn't pay much, but I know I doubled the shop owners investment, and was a bit set off; as, I had broken my own rule: a step-thru is only worth $20.00. But, this was a Shelby [I didn't know anything about Shelby's] with rear drop-outs. [Didn't take long to find out Shelby never had front drop-outs for the rear axle... all the way to 1953 when AMF purchased Shelby].

This project post has as it's #1 priority, the recording of this bike's history... up to this date [ca. November 2015]. Just look at it! Patina @ it's finest! And I did try try to clean the two different red paint jobs off. Much of the original paint was gone; especially, from the frame and fork. The bike was worthless to me, as it was found; an example of neglect and abuse. 2 different rim styles; 2 different tire brands; 2 different pedals; a boys seat with no pad or cover; Chain-guard AWOL; wrong grips; and, did it ever have a tank? I found a spot, early on that told me what this girl had once proudly worn... and that's the shove I needed. In fact: the paint shop used this sample to mix the new paint.
P9 Shelby B4.jpg

This is the spot; 'Red and Creme' [Shelby had a 'Blue and Creme' and a 'Green and Creme']. It seemed to be a real common offering; these three color schemes; but finding photo examples is difficult. Green or Blue please me much, compared to red; however, when coupled with the tan, the Red and Creme scheme seems to 'pop' much more. I did, as I cleaned the house-paint, expose necessary pin-strips, darts, chevrons, and decals... I have my needed tracings and measures.

Other projects needed attention; and, I was having only small spots of success @ find missing parts. All chrome was cleaned, and it had protected the iron, tho most all of it needs re-chrome. [Going to chrome in January]. All metal was prepped for paint; is primed, and then summer temps fled and my painter left for Florida; be back in May. Here's where we're at and where we're headed:
51 Shelby Project 1.jpg

51 Shelby Project 2.jpg

Now: You saw my little faux tank @Howard Gordon THANK YOU! Howard. Notice I've got a proper Chain-guard... that's from e-bay, and it did NOT, when I bought it, look like THAT! The IRON in those fenders is un-believable! Think 1936 Packard Car! So... we are set up for 2017 May to work out the finish and trim.

Other items have been found. I have a pair of Torrington 8 pedals being re-built; I have NOS Hunt-Wilde grips; and, a fantastically repaired/preserved leather saddle! @rustjunkie THANKS! Scott.

IMG_1065.JPG

More to come........

Last edited:
Looks like you're doing a full on resurrection. Very very nice. This bike will see the 22nd Century for sure. Somebody is going to be very proud of your beautiful work. Sneak a time capsule in there somewhere. Maybe a copy of your birth certificate!

@ TR65C The BC would be era correct... only predates the bike by three years. Wonder how long it would take the clerks to find the original to make a copy?

@ TR65C The BC would be era correct... only predates the bike by three years. Wonder how long it would take the clerks to find the original to make a copy?
That certificate is out there. But the point is, these bikes that are being restored, refurbished, or simply rescued, will outlive us. Aren't we fortunate to be part of their story. Stash it in the seat tube!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Paint was done in May, assembly thru June, shake-down this past week, some last minute paint changes (the chain guard I had painted was too small once the chain wheel and crank were installed)... so, we pulled out the larger one we had hid away, and we stripped it of it's blue, red, with white pins... clear is drying now. It is not finished yet... pedals, chain shortening and a fender brace alignment, installation of the chain guard, remain to be done this week.

I have a set of new Uniroyal chain tires; but, the real Juanitasmith13 said "white-walls"... These are used walmart style that do have the Goodyear AW tread. (Uniroyal Chains and Goodyear AW were both used by Shelby in 1951. Final good photos, hopefully, this week!

Back