When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper shim for a 1941 Colson Super Cruiser Seat Post

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

popawheelie

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am putting together this Colson Firestone Super Cruiser, but the Shims for the seat post that came with it don't work, the thinner ones I ordered don't work.

What shim is needed for this bike? Does anyone know? I even doulbled up the thin shims and that isn't working either.

Help! lol

Michael Siddons

Thinking it would use a 3/4" seatpost, unless Colson stopped using them at some point.
img_20161016_150457906_hdr-jpg.jpg

As a last resort , just so I could ride the bike. I heated up a seat post until it was red hot . Then pounded a flat spot on the front side of the lucky 7 at the desired height it would be installed at bolt level. What it did was oval out the post a bit and it fit nice and tight. I had several different posts. Way too big. way too small. just right.... but would not tighten.
It worked.
When I go to swaps I always have my eye out for seat post shims. That's the kind of thing one finds at swaps if they take the time to "rummage" [and I like to rummage] through the boxes of stuff.
I bought 3 different post shims from fellow Caber Johnboy at Memory Lane last month for 5 bucks.When you need them they are hard to find.

I think, sometime after 36, Colson switched from 3/4in to 13/16 seat tube I.D. ...but they continued to use the 3/4 in seat post ...so the shim is whatever is necessary to span the gap... :confused:

Back