When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proud second owner of a 51 straight bar!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sludgeguy

Finally riding a big boys bike
I had talked with this fellow at a barbeque a while back and we went to the subject of hobbies. I told him about my old bikes and thought no more of it.

He got a hold of me and told me to stop by. He gifted me his Christmas present from 1951!!
It has a lot of history in it. He told me of seeing by the tree, of stealing his brother's DX seat cause it felt better, bending the front fork and pounding the fenders to get the mud out. The bike confirmed his tales. Lol

I'm going to give it a bath, new rubber, and a good lube. Then I will put some miles on it for now.
20170120_093220.jpg
20170120_093220.jpg
20170120_093143.jpg
20170120_093514.jpg
H189103 He was 9 years old then.
I love the bike, I think the only modifications will be a sweetheart sprocket, and fender dent removal. Probably keep an eye out for a rear rack so I can carry my lunch bucket.

Thanks for looking,
Doug

I do have a question.
Which color tires go better with the rustalgic look, cream, brick, white wall, or black?
The bike started out maroon and white although it looks more brown now.

Mike might be right. But my Schwinn looked kinda like that before cleaning. I don't know if I'm going to keep the brick tires on it forever, but this is what it looks like now to give you some idea of what that option might look like.

'48 Schwinn L Done.jpg

Last edited:
NICE PLAIN JANE!
LET'S SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AFTER YOU CLEAN IT UP?
THE PAINTED RIMS WOULD LIKE OLD BLACK WALL TIRES.
AND OF COURSE A SCHWINN SPROCKET!
NICE PRESENT!
ENJOY!

It's cleaned up, lubricated and ridden. I will be replacing the non original parts this spring. The seat is only for riding, a little more comfortable than the original.
Rode it to the original owner's house. He really like it.
Thanks for looking.
Screenshot_2017-02-14-13-44-23.png
Screenshot_2017-02-14-13-44-39.png

I had talked with this fellow at a barbeque a while back and we went to the subject of hobbies. I told him about my old bikes and thought no more of it.

He got a hold of me and told me to stop by. He gifted me his Christmas present from 1951!!
It has a lot of history in it. He told me of seeing by the tree, of stealing his brother's DX seat cause it felt better, bending the front fork and pounding the fenders to get the mud out. The bike confirmed his tales. Lol

I'm going to give it a bath, new rubber, and a good lube. Then I will put some miles on it for now.View attachment 412119 View attachment 412119 View attachment 412122 View attachment 412123H189103 He was 9 years old then.
I love the bike, I think the only modifications will be a sweetheart sprocket, and fender dent removal. Probably keep an eye out for a rear rack so I can carry my lunch bucket.

Thanks for looking,
Doug
I have the sprocket you need, message me if interested.

Back