When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about fork parts and disassembly.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stinky_Sullivan

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up some bikes the other day. They're not vintage but I'm sure the construction is similar to the older stuff.

This bike is Chinese made and I see a lot of inferior parts. Those will get replaced. As for the fork, the dust boots have deteriorated and I'd like to replace them. In order to do so without using the replacement wrap around style, I'd have to disassemble the fork. Am I right in assuming that's not something I want to do unless I absolutely have to? Jobs that look simple are often anything but. I assume they utilize air pressure to absorb shock which means pressure must be increased in the fork. That would require tools I don't have.

Also, the top of each fork side is open. There's a plastic cap/plug in the top of the fork on each side. One is missing on this bike. Where can I get replacements? The top of the plugs are angled in relation to the shaft of the fork.

I picked up some bikes the other day. They're not vintage but I'm sure the construction is similar to the older stuff.

This bike is Chinese made and I see a lot of inferior parts. Those will get replaced. As for the fork, the dust boots have deteriorated and I'd like to replace them. In order to do so without using the replacement wrap around style, I'd have to disassemble the fork. Am I right in assuming that's not something I want to do unless I absolutely have to? Jobs that look simple are often anything but. I assume they utilize air pressure to absorb shock which means pressure must be increased in the fork. That would require tools I don't have.

Also, the top of each fork side is open. There's a plastic cap/plug in the top of the fork on each side. One is missing on this bike. Where can I get replacements? The top of the plugs are angled in relation to the shaft of the fork.

Impossible to tell from your description. Post a picture.

Most shock-absorbing forks on inexpensive bikes are elastomer or springs inside the legs, not air/oil.

Back