When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Steer Tube Damage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Any ideas on how to get this threaded portion of the rear steer tube "out of round" corrected?

Cause of the damage...
The rear handlebar stem wedge was jammed in the stem (bolt was broke off).
So in my infamous wisdom, I used a deadblow to hammer it out.
Not paying attention, the stem became angled and was removed with it at an angle.
Rookie mistake, I know.[emoji30]

Now the top of the tube is egged shape. I did manage to use a block of wood (to not damage the theads) and a hammer to get it back in shape but, not perfect.
Result as it sits now.
The threaded area is mushroomed just above the threaded on top race..so that can't be threaded off. And the top edge still out of round won't allow the top nut to be treaded on.
Not like I can just go out and get another rear tube replacement.
Thought about using a rosebud torch to heat it up enough to to thread the race off hoping it would reshape the tube but, that's a lot of torching.

HELP!
Rear steer tube in question
e8638c539ef27029d24be73b7662c723.jpg

The damage
8ded8928cb0a764fdc98aeac340065e2.jpg

5870b6a89fcab73d66272141df1b82db.jpg

d6e5202e14bfcd6055a4678a19e581f9.jpg

f1e748e2b3ad14687d7a4a8732f0d901.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would put a pipe wrench on the nut and turn it off.It probably will correct some of the ovalness.before doing that I take a fine file that fits into the threads and clean them up by filing the bad thread.You may have to use a saucer grinder to remove the first thread or two.Doesnt look too bad.I fixed worse than that .Just take your time

Threaded the race off, replaced the buggered up top nut and it seems to all thread back on the tube, still is not square or the threads aren't perfect so we'll see how it goes.
26c0bd6f5bda48cc39824d5012ecf242.jpg
529bed7955cad0f10af12e671da2661e.jpg
80b9594abefdbdd18f47987c0c60cc06.jpg
45c86451e9f6b4842e9a292ac0002baf.jpg

Last edited:
Well they wont thread back on now, figures. Probably heated the tube enough by threading the race off for the top nut to thread back on with ease. Pulled them off, walked away and it must have expanded again. Race wants to cut new threads.
I'll try the thread file once it gets here. Been looking everywhere for a set for a while now but, couldn't find any.
Just ordered a set. Thx

Last edited:
Got the thread file yesterday, size 24 is what was needed.
Spent time chasing the treads, using a brass brush to follow up and micro files, and a lot of patience.
Managed to get the, still stretched threaded tube, to accept the race and top nut.
Wheeeew, that was a big worry that I can file in the "done" drawer now.

Back