When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red 1949 phantom

-
Very nice red phantom. Is that the right brake lever for this year Schwinn ?

I'm not sure if it is the angle of the picture but the lever seems a little odd. I think from about '48 on should be a Schwinn script lever. V/r Shawn

I'm not sure if it is the angle of the picture but the lever seems a little odd. I think from about '48 on should be a Schwinn script lever. V/r Shawn
Yes it does have a Schwinn script lever. It's hard to to tell from the pic. By the way was there a right and left hand scripted lever because most of the ones I have the script is on the same side?

Yes it does have a Schwinn script lever. It's hard to to tell from the pic. By the way was there a right and left hand scripted lever because most of the ones I have the script is on the same side?

No-- the lever used for the left and right was the same lever just flipped around. V/r Shawn

there was a right and left hand lever,script is always on the outside,there was a left hand for dual brakes and a left hand lever for the factory americans that came from the factory with front rim brakes and a manual 2 speed,brake lever on left,2 speed lever on the right

What a great bike......stunning to see one like that being almost 70 years old.......I am still on the hunt for a Red 59 Phantom.

Nice looking Phantom. Do you happen to know what letter the serial number starts with? I have a 1949 that starts with an S. Just curious.

The serial numbers don't always tell you the model year of Schwinn.

I have a 49 that starts with G

The 49 SN's are F and G, with the G's being stamped in December. That late of a stamping would make the bike a 1950 model.

Maskadeo, No S numbers in 1949 so your number is either a 1955 or 1957 number located on the left rear dropout.

Back