When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relacing Fail Velocity Model A

-

tommydale1950

I live for the CABE
My first attempt at Lacing a Velocity Blunt onto a New Departure Model A . I dont know what I did wrong yet , but it just did not come out right. Everything seemed fine til I did the last 9 spokes. Maybe one of you can tell right away , but Im haviing trouble seeing what I did wrong . The spokes are 11 1/2 long and I did a 4 cross . Maybe spokes are too long? I thought 286mm was correct..Any help appreciated ..Tom ps and I did start to left of valve stem hole

Attachments

• IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 125
I always use a spoke calculator when lacing any rim to any hub. Measure everything and then buy your spokes from wheel fanatyk. I recall my last few being around 290mm on a morrow hub. It also matters your cross number. I generally do 3-cross.

Last edited:
I always use a spoke calculator when lacing any rim to any hub. Measure everything and then buy your spokes from wheel fanatyk. I recall my last few being around 290mm on a morrow hub. It also matters your cross number. I generally do 3-cross.

According to spoke calculater Im .25 cm longer on the spoke ,and I believe well within overall spoke length .But maybe thats where Im off? I also am using 1/2 " nipples..
'

I used 11 7/16 spokes and .75" nipples with velocity wheels, model A rear, I think a SM front (large bearings like a mussleman front). cross 3 pattern.
I had a couple spokes that look long at fist but it all worked out. You may be a good with cross 4, double check your spoke placement, also dont forget to add and hold the twist when you do the leading spokes.

It's not easy to tell from pics, but it looks to me that you've only gone 2x.
Looks like the pink spoke crosses over 2 green. Typically a 4x will leave the flange at a much greater angle than what it looks like here.

IMG_4612-1.jpg

As comparison here's a pair of wheels I built yesterday, you can see the difference in the angle of spoke as it leaves the flange:

05302015_015JPG-1.jpg

05302015_016JPG-1.jpg

"The spokes are 11 1/2 long and I did a 4 cross . Maybe spokes are too long? I thought 286mm was correct...According to spoke calculater Im .25 cm longer on the spoke"

11.5(") x 25.4(mm) = 292(mm)

If all measurements were correct and 292 is the correct length, then a spoke that's 294 or 295 (+2.5mm from above) will from my experience be too long.

Last edited:
It's not easy to tell from pics, but it looks to me that you've only gone 2x.
Looks like the pink spoke crosses over 2 green. Typically a 4x will leave the flange at a much greater angle than what it looks like here.

IMG_4612-1.jpg

Yes- recheck your cross numbers. These don't look cross 4 from that picture- they look either cross 2 or 3 to me.

Back