When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove Rust From Paint

-

Vintage-Whizzer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here is an old Whizzer model F tank which is pretty rare, but it was covered in rust.
Personally I have a deep appreciation for original finishes good or bad.
I used a rust removing acid, and applied it with a paint brush.
You can buy a rust removing acid at most auto parts stores.
For this project I used Fast Etch, and Rust Mort.
Either one will work, but I ran out of the Fast Etch, and had to switch to the rust mort.
Once the rust has been dissolved it exposes the original paint color.
It is not completely finished, but you get the point.
This will work for painted wheels, fenders, frames, etc.
Don't remove an old finish, remove the rust.
You can find a refinished bike any day of the week, but you can't always find an original finish bike.
If you have any questions, I would be more then happy to answer them.
I also apply these acids to bare metal before I paint.
Here are some before and after pictures.
tank (1).JPG
tank (2).JPG
tank (3).JPG
tank (4).JPG
tank (6).JPG
tank (5).JPG
tank (10).JPG
tank (8).JPG
tank (9).JPG

Last edited:
I don't really have RUST on the Huffy frame, it's just 31 years of accumulated crud with a decent layer of blue underneath and I need to clean that off...the finish is recoverable pretty much...how to get that off?

I don't really have RUST on the Huffy frame, it's just 31 years of accumulated crud with a decent layer of blue underneath and I need to clean that off...the finish is recoverable pretty much...how to get that off?

A rubbing compound might be best for that '66.

But what to use? I tried to find something in the hardware dept. at the store yesterday. I found the rest of what I needed.

Did you just follow the directions on the can? Or how long did you leave on and how did you clean off afterwards?

Great results!

Thanks
Chad
Hi Chad, I just kept on eye on the tank, and then removed the acid with water. Once you are happy with the results you can rinse it off, and either gently oil it, or wax it.

Back