When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing old decal material off good original paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I was wondering how the best way to safely remove old damaged decals without harming the paint. My goal is to remove the remnants, then apply another new water decal to replace the old one.

I think I did this MANY years ago and I just used my fingernail with sunlight dish soap, took my time, and was patient.

I know paint thinner/turpentine will not harm good original enamel paint as I've cleaned up original painted parts many times in solvent tanks along with the greasy brightwork. Lighter fluid has been useful in the past as it is quite gentle. Even Never Dull polish wad.

As a rule, strong products like laquer thinner, Goof off, or heaven forbid anything abrasive is kissing the paint goodbye. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

A lot depends on how weathered the decals are and what year the bike is. The later Schwinn bikes from the late 70's had crappy decals. I've removed decals off a 63 Varsity, 79 Spitfire and a 63 Corvette with Turtle Wax's Rubbing Compound, the clear coat safe liquid version in the green bottle.

Momo had a post on removing decals in the Schwinn Lightweight section I believe. Micro-Sol? is what he used.

Back