When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Those Tiny Front Badge Screws?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
How and what tool? I have eyeglass screwdrivers that are small enough but these screws are in tight.

Mike

I have a quality gunsmith's screwdriver set for such small screws as this. The bits are very small, precise, and well-made.

It's got a lot to do with the screw driver. It can't be a cheap one that the tip of the blade will bend or twist. I've been using the same one for over 20 years. I just wish I bought more than one when I got it. I haven't been able to find another one.

I go at them like I will only have one chance. Make sure the slot is cleaned out and square. If it is messed up I break out the Otivisor and a Dremel cutting disk and square it up. If it's a rivet (most of them are drive screws) I use the Dremel to cut a screwdriver slot.You should have used some petrating oil a day or two before. Then find a screwdriver tht really fits the slot- the slot should be filled completely-no slop, no wiggle room, no light showing through. Then it should pop right out. Ever since I got obsessive about preparation I have not had a problem.

As said above the right size tool is important, I have an old Craftsman Professional that fits most of them well.
I usually seat the driver, then gently nudge the screw left and right to free it up before the full turns.

image.jpeg

Speaking of these screws. Has anyone found a nice replacement for the originals? I have been buying them from the guy on ebay selling NOS screws at high prices because I don't like the pan heads as a replacement. We are talking Schwinn style round head screws right?

I use a screwdriver that was in a tool kit for a flak 38. Try finding one of those!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I've found tiny brass screws at Mcfadden-Dale Industrial Fasteners in Santa Ana, CA for about a nickel each.

Most industrial fastener places should have what you need. Google it and find one in your area. A good shop will have every type of nut and bolt you could ever need, for pennies.

To get old screws out, I make sure the slot is clean of paint and rust, usually just by running a knife blade thru it, then I use a small snap-on pocket screwdriver I've owned since working at a gas station 25 years ago.

Back