When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement tires

-

petritl

I live for the CABE
I recently purchased a mid 40s wood rim race bike, could someone recommend a source for replacement tires 27" x 1 1/4"

IMG_3706.JPG

your best bet may be 700c CX tubulars, which are usually 33mm , and you can also get the diamond tread:
at this price, I think I'd grab some of these: Vittoria Evo XN

I think people on the forum have also mentioned stretching Tufo tubulars on 27" wood rims.

One other choice, rebuild the wheels with 700c wood rims from Grand Bois, then you can use any size modern tubular.

might also contact our Oxfordshire bro here, and see what tire he was planning to use
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wood-rims-and-tub-tape.110529/

Last edited:
I've gone for 700c x 25 Vittoria rally training tyres, black tread with amber sidewalls. They seem a little heavier duty construction than some tubs which I'm hoping will cope with my poorly maintained and heavily pot-holed local Oxfordshire roads!
They also have very small logos on the tyres compared to the tufo brand, and can be easily painted over.
I'll be fitting the tyres this coming weekend and will post the results then.
I'm hoping they'll fit fine, but although both are ostensibly 700c size the rear rim is some 43 mm larger in circumference.

I've stretched Challenge tubies on 700c rims and wouldn't wish it on anybody, but the good Vittorias should stretch really well, and that Evo XN blowout price is really pretty incredible.
(if they would stretch, Challenge Strada Bianca would be the perfect tire)
aP5110001-1.jpg

Just making sure both you guys know, you have to dry-mount your tubular tires first, air them to about half-pressure, and let them stretch for a few days before you try to glue them.

Last edited:
Back