When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold RESTORED 1/2 NOS PARTS BUILD 1946/47 SCHWINN DB97XE 1ST 'HORNET' POSTWAR FAT BAR 2800.00

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
FOR SALE- 1946 "C" serial # (as many fat bar frames appear to be) complete restoration using a host of NOS original Schwinn parts. This one came about as over the years I happened upon some of the D model Blue sheet metal as found in NOS unused condition. I've always been a fan of the early postwar straight bar frames with the prewar diameter "straight" bar with the wider tubing diameter.
So a further round up produced the following NOS parts for what sounded like a good idea for a restoration of a "D" model as opposed the very tempting Autocycle deluxe version of this frame option.
NOS parts list as follows--------NOS "Packard" Arnold Schwinn & Co. badge, NOS hi-lo front expander brake, NOS New Departure Model D hub, NOS Drop center painted and pinstriped rims, NOS Torrington Spokes, NOS Torpedo Headlight, NOS Typhoon USA Tires, NOS Fenders, Rear 9-hole carrier, feather guard in the DX blue, NOS Torrington 8 Pedals, NOS Delta early Horn unit, NOS reflectors, NOS sweetheart sprocket, NOS fender braces, NOS Grips.

Roughly 1/2 the bike has been assembled with NOS parts.
The rest was fully restored, painted, rechromed etc.
with single stage (no clear) enamel, fully restored Mesinger saddle in the early post war simulated 'oil cloth' I used leather but looks very close, rare locking Ashtabula fork with orig Schwinn Key. The result being an optioned out "Hornet" or "Cycleplane" as they were still refered to as prior to the Hornet release in 48'. Bike has a nice 'survivor' Tapered kickstand that actually holds the bike up very well. These stands failed often and were eventually phased out, originals are hard to find due to the wear the small "foot" would take most are not re-useable. Fun build of an often over looked, for restoration purposes at least, "D" model Schwinn bike. Some minor shelf wear to the NOS painted parts (guard, fenders, rack) but they look pretty durn good measuring up to the rest of the restored painted and replated parts.

2800.00 plus shipping.

I arrived at the asking price by summing up the value of the rare NOS parts used,
the original restorable parts used and the immense amount of time that goes into
restoring an old bicycle with original parts, paint, plating and labor.

Message here, or email [email protected]
Bike will only be shipped built in one box could run 150.00 + around the US

hornet.gif
hornet6.gif

hornet27.gif
hornet9.gif
hornet11.gif
hornet14.gif
hornet16.gif
hornet15.gif
hornet18.gif
hornet21.gif
hornet22.gif
hornet23.gif
hornet25.gif
hornet14corner.gif

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

hornet20.gif

What a great color, that would be my 1st choice if I were a young Schwinn shopper in '46. Killer bike Bob.

Back