When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod Brake / Drum Brake

-

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
I stopped by a friend's house this morning and lo and behold! Small frame, looks like a 20." 26" wheels, but it looks like 28s could be snuck in.
A bit sad. The seat post is a 3/4" water pipe with a bell reducer. The chrome is shot. But, how can one not bring this thing back to life?
It is a single speed with a strap drum on the rear. Nice chaincase, and the fender braces are lovely. I am guessing that the Brits went to a sidestand post-war. Prince by Bridgestone and it even has BS on the saddle.
Experts come forth, please.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The snail drum was popular in Japan and parts of east Asia, including the Dutch East Indies. But rod-drum rigs were also popular in Denmark and parts of northern Europe, though those generally were Sturmey style drums rather than snail drums. I do agree this loks Asian, yeah, probably Japanese.

Does that mean that Sir Whitworth is not connected to this bicycle? Are we talking Metric? Bridgestone is Japanese. I feel naïve. The surprises never end. Thank you all for the education and entertainment!

Does that mean that Sir Whitworth is not connected to this bicycle? Are we talking Metric? Bridgestone is Japanese. I feel naïve. The surprises never end. Thank you all for the education and entertainment!

I would bet metric on this one - I don't think Bridgestone copied Whitworth tooling from the British, at least I've never seen one where they did.

for future reference, here is a nice Japan catalog dfatabase - only place I know to find anything on Japan bikes before 1970
http://cyclespeugeot.web.fc2.com/reminiscencebyenglish.htm
Most of the bicycles in these catalog pages are high-grade home-market touring bikes that copy the French, and many use French components.

Bridgestone began making bicycles in 1949

I think dating your bike to the 50s is realistic.
Certainly not identical, but not unlike this 1955 Sunstar.
sunstar0018.jpg

Back