When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S-7 Tire Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Stephanie, I always thought Schwinn S7s could only be fitted with Schwinn approved 1 3/4" tires.
But, I managed to get a set of 2.125" balloon tires to fit a S7 wheelset.
Duros is what worked. They (Duro), has a large selection of colored tires.
The trick in getting the beads set into the S7 was to not fully inflate the tire while it is being mounted.
Slap the tire with a mallet or on the floor till the bead is even around the sidewal of the rim.
Then slowly inflate till it seats.

Here is my Niece's 1958 Starlet middleweight with Duto balloon tires. The tires are a tight fit within the confines of the fender, so I had to flare them a tad. Forks were wide enough.
e6d323472c17af1a8b4367da9c0a7eaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You have a very lucky niece! Beautiful bike!!!

TH
Stephanie, I always thought Schwinn S7s could only be fitted with Schwinn approved 1 3/4" tires.
But, I managed to get a set of 2.125" balloon tires to fit a S7 wheelset.
Duros is what worked. They (Duro), has a large selection of colored tires.
The trick in getting the beads set into the S7 was to not fully inflate the tire while it is being mounted.
Slap the tire with a mallet or on the floor till the bead is even around the sidewal of the rim.
Then slowly inflate till it seats.

Here is my Niece's 1958 Starlet middleweight with Duto balloon tires. The tires are a tight fit within the confines of the fender, so I had to flare them a tad. Forks were wide enough.
e6d323472c17af1a8b4367da9c0a7eaf.jpg

Are you sure those rims are not S2, which is a 559 bead? I am not clear on how this worked. The bead on a S7 is 571mm vs 559mm for a standard 26"

TH

I am pretty sure a 58 Scarlet was a ballooner bike.....Are you sure those rims are not S2, which is a 559 bead? I am not clear on how this worked. The bead on a S7 is 571mm vs 559 mm for a standard 26"
Middleweight bike and as I recall these were S7s. Heck it was years ago. I'll have to look at the rims again...hope I didnt mislead Stephanie.

Middleweight bike and as I recall these were S7s. Heck it was years ago. I'll have to look at the rims again...hope I didnt mislead Stephanie.

Ya, you right, I just looked it up, it was a MW, I still think the rims may have been swapped.....front hub looks too heavy for MW too me....

I think the 58's were middleweights, it was changing in 57 I believe. I have that same frame/fork......either way im not sure putting a tire on a rim not made to fit it is the best idea....but hey if it works.

I stand corrected, sorry Stephaine.
I did mount the pink tires (Sunlites not Duros) on a set of S2s.
Please disregard my misinformation.

But, the good thing, that is true..I managed to squeeze a S2 wheelset on a middleweight.

Again sorry for being an idiot this morning.

7fcb220ed8027359b9d4b08d0f5a9bea.jpg
81af15265a5ce8b2cb9d48e8c4cc55fb.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected, sorry Stephaine.
I did mount the pink tires (Sunlites not Duros) on a set of S2s.
Please disregard my misinformation.

But, the good thing, that is true..I managed to squeeze a S2 wheelset on a middleweight.

Again sorry for being an idiot this morning.

7fcb220ed8027359b9d4b08d0f5a9bea.jpg
81af15265a5ce8b2cb9d48e8c4cc55fb.jpg

Not a problem JD. Appreciate you trying to help me out! I'm learning a ton off this site!!!

Like I said, I squeezed a set of S2s inside the fenders.
I was surprised I got them to work...you can do it[emoji6]

Back