When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving a 1.375 tire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
after you patch it dont ride the bike any farther than you can walk.

True- and probably don't ride it at all. If that tire "pops" on the front wheel, it could mean a lively time as you come to a skidding halt. If it delaminates entirely, it's over the bars and a broken collar bone probably. Front blowouts are bad, bad stuff.

Like mike stated up above, I have fit the 597s on the rim, but since I bought another bike to get some sweet original rims, the back tire is perfect and I was hoping to salvage the front.

Heck I didn't know that. So, Here's-a watta I'm-a gonna do for a-you. Lucky for you, I have an old 50's tire that was waiting fer the trash. Just minutes ago, I chopped two pieces off and cause I've got so much confidence in this stuff, without cleaning, dusting, nutin, I just brushed a gob on 1 side of a piece, put them both together in small vise. We''ll have another looky see later this evening or so.

P6180338_zpsdibdemvxjpgoriginal-1.jpg

Decent 1.375s (ISO 599) cost a mint. It's possible you could pay more for your tires than the entire rest of the bike. A good set is easily $100, mint running closer to $300 per set. It's not single tube 28 inch tire prices, but definitely getting there.

Fortunately ISO 597 (Schwinn S5 and S6 type) tires are very close, though not perfect. Apparently some of these 599 rims can take a 597 tire and it works OK. Some of the taller walled ones won't take the tires though. I have have at least two sets of rims here that can take 597s, and possibly a third. However, in the past, I had a couple sets that you couldn't slip the tire onto.

I would love to see 1.375 tires made again, but I don't ever see it happening. Only the people running the earlier US roadsters and lightweights want them (1930s-40s mostly). These bikes have among the smallest of all followings. They are one of the best kept secrets in vintage bikes (not to let it out or anything).

Heck I didn't know that. So, Here's-a watta I'm-a gonna do for a-you. Lucky for you, I have an old 50's tire that was waiting fer the trash. Just minutes ago, I chopped two pieces off and cause I've got so much confidence in this stuff, without cleaning, dusting, nutin, I just brushed a gob on 1 side of a piece, put them both together in small vise. We''ll have another looky see later this evening or so.
cool ... once they bond see if you can tear them apart

cool ... once they bond see if you can tear them apart

While waiting I stuck a loose connection on the top so I could monitor the hardness of the glue as it sets. I connected the other by using a small C clamp that was only tight enough for the two pieces of rubber to touch for a few hours, until the glue could hold it on its own. Then I'd know if it, while the glue was setting, had enough strength to continue holding with the force of the rubber wanting to pull them apart.

I only applied I gob of glue to 1 side of the top and bottom sections, without having cleaned or prepared any of the rubber:

SDC12562.jpg

On the Top piece; The main gob of glue has grabbed well but with little effort failed on opposite, unglued side :

SDC12563.jpg

The part in vise; A good pressing of the two sides, feels well joined as I prepare to pull.

SDC12565.jpg

Easily separated, and in contrast to the top connection, the glued side just cleaned the surface off of the tire while the bare side grabbed.. Go figure?

SDC12566.jpg

The section in the vise, the glue is saturated into the old rubber enough where it won't peal off and resists scratching:

SDC12569.jpg

On the top glued part where the glue remained, it's stuck pretty good, resists scratching, pealing and pulling. While the glue on the unstuck sides peals off easy.

SDC12572.jpg

It's a pass/fail. It came apart easy, leaving one side stuck in good while removing rubber from the other. The glued side has grabbed and is tough to scratch or break off, while the removed side lost its strength once pulled off, all of the glue on it is easier to remove. .

It wants to stick and may work well in your tires providing you create the right conditions for the glue to soak in enough to grab it. .

You couldn't just seam a tire together like stiches, but may be able coat the bindings and draw the rubber back over to seam it. And add an glued under lament (7-10" old cut piece of tire or?) to hold the bindings.

Last edited:
It's a pass/fail. It came apart easy, leaving one side stuck in good while removing rubber from the other. The glued side has grabbed and is tough to scratch or break off, while the removed side lost its strength once pulled off, all of the glue on it is easier to remove. .

It wants to stick and may work well in your tires providing you create the right conditions for the glue to soak in enough to grab it. .

You couldn't just seam a tire together like stiches, but may be able coat the bindings and draw the rubber back over to seam it. And add an glued under lament (7-10" old cut piece of tire or?) to hold the bindings.

i tried myself. bought the HH glue and it didnt work. i applied a liberal amount to both the rubber side and the liner and all it did was eat the liner color.

i tried myself. bought the HH glue and it didnt work. i applied a liberal amount to both the rubber side and the liner and all it did was eat the liner color.

Yeah, most likely, the rubber is just to old, dried to get a good grab. On the surfaces where the glue came off easily it took a small layer of rubber with it.

top portion in photo, top layer of rubber was pulled off:

attachment.php

That illustrated that the glue stuck to the rubber but the composition of the rubber is too weak to maintain.

It might work inside the tire using a patch, a cut off of another. Like I'd said before, as a kid I would chop a section off another tire and line the bad one with it. Without glue it solved issues of broken bindings, sidewall splits and warn holes. Obviously this 'fix' didn't last long but worked long enough until I could fund another tire. Funny, I just remembered the sound when riding of one of my patches like this, and along with that, the little bump.

Presumably, using glue could aide in increasing the usage. Because it does stick to the top layer of the old rubber, I would, if at this task, complete the gluing process and then don't attempt to test or pull them apart but stick the tire on, fill with air and see if it'll hold.

It would be a hit and miss in your case, with broken bindings and such otherwise I don't know of any other resource that wouldn't do the same thing; stick to the top layer of the rubber.

Last edited:
Back