When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Chainstay Drainage Holes

-

Motown07

On Training Wheels
I'm working on period resto 79 Schwinn Spitfire. The bike was badly rusted and I dipped the entire thing in citric acid. Lucky for me all the rust and the paint came right off. Unfortunately I have rust pits to deal with now. To make a long story short I sprayed the inside of the frame tubes with WD-40 to prevent future rust. Three months later the bike is in filler primer and I am getting WD-40 leaching at the chainstay drainage holes and a few other areas. Can someone advise what I can do to clean up WD-40 from inside of the tubes?

I heard that mineral spirits (MS) removes WD-40. Maybe I can spray MS inside the tubes and have them drain out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mineral Spirits should do it. I use Klean Heat kerosene at work to clean up messes like that. That stuff even kills 90wt. gear lube in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't put anymore stuff in there. MS doesn't evaporate and I think you will have the same problem for a bit longer. Hang the frame up with the holes facing down wait a year and finish your resto. Try blowing some compressed air in there to try to dry it up a little.

I had that problem once,a real pain. I used boiling hot soap and water to get the bulk of the the WD40 out .I then used ,alcohol in the holes . Still had some residue and ended up hitting the holes with a torch to burn things out .Not enough to damage the steel,just enough to burn the crap out.Of course had to do more priming .Still did not feel safe enough for final paint so I plugged the holes with epoxy before paint. After the paint was cured I drilled out the epoxy and put linseed oil in the tubes.I think if you get a good initial bond with paint/primer to the steel you will be safe.

Easy solution. Carb cleaner.

Stick the little red straw into the drainage hole, spray a liberal amount in, hang or stand it up till it drains/drys, which takes a coupla minutes.

Obviously this should be done before paint, and since yours is primered, you can re-coat it after a little bit of sanding.

Thats a mistake you only make once!

I've had oil leak out long after coating the insides as well. The insides of the tubes are not nice and smooth. So I kinda figure thats the problem. Oil gets stuck in some spots and drains out later.

I always coat frames after I'm done doing cleaning, waxing or painting.

Frame saver is good stuff. When it dries it ends up sticky and kinda wax like. It can be messy, so be carful. I usually let most of the excess drain out right after application, and tape over the vent holes, roll the frame around to try and get even distribution and than let it dry for a few days. Never had any leak out afterward.

http://www.amazon.com/Weigles-Bicycle-Frame-Saver-Inhibitor/dp/B0012GO58Y?scrlybrkr=9fc23b43

How about brake cleaner? I use that stuff to clean out hubs and bearings. Seems to break down grease and oil then it evaporates.

Thanks for all the replies. I've attached a couple photos of the issue.

IMG_20160412_084644.JPG
P_20160412_081355.jpg
P_20160412_074228.jpg

This problem reminds me of the 1970 Buick that I undercoated myself with a 5 gallon bucket of roofing tar. I poured tar in the 1/4 panels, filled 'em and every place I could get into. That car did not rust but every year when summer rolled around it leaked tar on those hot days.
I guess I like the torch idea or the brake clean.
I have always wondered about the fellows that wipe down an entire bike with W D 40....How do you apply any touch up paint ? Will the paint stick to areas the the oil has been on. ? Sometimes when painting I have noticed a little "fisheye".
I have always wondered if that was caused by a tiny amount of oil left from a finger print or whatever.

This problem reminds me of the 1970 Buick that I undercoated myself with a 5 gallon bucket of roofing tar. I poured tar in the 1/4 panels, filled 'em and every place I could get into. That car did not rust but every year when summer rolled around it leaked tar on those hot days.
I guess I like the torch idea or the brake clean.
I have always wondered about the fellows that wipe down an entire bike with W D 40....How do you apply any touch up paint ? Will the paint stick to areas the the oil has been on. ? Sometimes when painting I have noticed a little "fisheye".
I have always wondered if that was caused by a tiny amount of oil left from a finger print or whatever.

fingers will leave oil, unless you just washed them well. One should always use a surface cleaner/de-glosser before painting as a minimum, sanding is better, and wipe with a dust free clean rag.

Back