When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Collegiate Sport Need Parts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Romario

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I am trying to get the bike I bought in a better shape, it says Schwinn Collegiate Sport, pictures are attached.

I want to buy new tires and tubes, the tires on it now are S-5, it says 26x1 3/8. Which tires should I buy and where?

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

Thanks. Another thing I wanted to replace is the headlight - it's pretty rusted as you see, but if the replacement is expensive I might just sand it and paint it.

Those are cosmetic things, anything else I need to take care before trying to ride it?

anything else I need to take care before trying to ride it?
I'd go through all the bearings on the bike, headset, bottom bracket, and wheel hubs. Clean & regrease them.
Also very important is to make sure the brakes are working sufficiently. The pads are likely hard as stone by this time and should be replaced.
Cables & housing likely will need attention, if not replacement also.
Lubing the chain and making sure that it's not too stretched is always a good idea.

I'd go through all the bearings on the bike, headset, bottom bracket, and wheel hubs. Clean & regrease them.
Also very important is to make sure the brakes are working sufficiently. The pads are likely hard as stone by this time and should be replaced.
Lubing the chain and making sure that it's not too stretched is always a good idea.

Plus 1! Rock hard pads can do nasty things to rims and won't stop you very well. Rock hard 40 year old grease will make it hard to ride and could damage bearings/cones.

The good news is pads, cables, and grease will cost less than the tires!

Bulldog 1935 the only thing with the tire pictures is he didn't include the pre-war lightweight 26x1.375 tires which are 599 mm tires but still equal the 26 inch measurement. They also used a different size rim. Used by Schwinn and some Raleighs. Roger

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll take it apart and remove old gunk and oil the parts. What kind of oil should I use?

I am trying to unscrew the bottom bracket, but it is giving me hard time. Here is the pic of the thing I am trying to unscrew, used screwdriver and hammered on it to unscrew, but it barely moves. What's the best way to unscrew this thing?

IMG_2880.JPG

Never mind, I needed to unscrew clockwise to remove. Much easier in that direction :)

Last edited:
Back