When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Excelsior questions?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PhilipJ

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently purchased this schwinn excelsior from a fellow Caber. I mostly collect TOC bikes but I always wanted a 30s balloner and always wanted a classic schwinn. When I saw this bike I fell in love with it. It's in great shape and I have ridden it. I recently took it a part to clean it and regrease the bearings. I know very little about this type of bike so I thought I would ask the experts on the Cabe. I know the pedals are reproductions, the paint is new, the tires are new and I question the age of the rims. Wondering if anyone could tell me what year it is, what else on it might not be original and what it's missing? Other then maybe getting a set of correct original pedals, I plan to get it in good riding shape and put some miles on it. Next spring and summer will be fun riding her.

I much appreciate any feedback you can offer!

Thanks,
Phil
IMG_4440.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4333.JPG

Here are some more pics. Forgot to ask if anyone could tell me what type of original pedals this bike had.

Thanks!!
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4402.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4421.JPG

Just saw the schwinn serial # reference list. This bike seems to have been made in 1938.

With the paint being new, I would get it to its most dialed in riding condition and ride ride ride!
If it was mine, I'd be mildly interested in knowing what the correct parts are, and keep an eye out,
but I'd probably be content with what's on it. Looks generally period correct anyway, and you've got a few
nice little extras already....:)

Thanks for all the feedback!! I've learned a lot. I don't really plan to change anything on it, except the pedals, as I really like the look of the bike as is. I just appreciate having some basic knowledge about the bikes I own. I'm sure every collector has some issue or issues that are important to them. Mine is I like period correct pedals on my bikes. I couldn't tell you why.

I'm definitely going to ride the heck out of this bike.

Thanks again for the great knowledge everyone has shared!!

Cheers,
Phil

Back