When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Lightweight Solid And Qr, Axles, Cones, 26 Tpi And Metric

-

momo608

I live for the CABE
Suspended
Looking for replacements for my not so perfect cones on my front and rear axles for a Sports Tourer and 70's Superior. Know of an aftermarket source?

What is the Schwinn size for these? got the 26tpi understood but the OD is a bit confusing for both front and rear.

The rears measure 9.7mm for the hollow axle and 9.45mm for a rear solid axle like those found on non quick release Continentals. Interestingly those cheap replacements hollow axles they sell on ebay are the same size as Schwinn rear solid axles, the Schwinn cones and nuts fit perfect if you want to use them. No good for the front because the cones are way too long but the axle itself fits the dropouts. Yes the front and rear cones on the ebay cheapos are the appropriate bearing size for F+R. The search continues. The Schwinn store on ebay has some I believe but they are pricey. Always feel i get hosed dealing with those people.

That is the source of confusion, metric and sae on the same type of hubs.

With your help I think I found some cones. I'll report back on this when I get them.

With your help I think I found some cones. I'll report back on this when I get them.

Thanks, I'd be *very* interested to find a source of new replacements! So far I've had to pirate them from Ladies' Super Sports and Continentals. ;)

Still further confusion comes from the fact that 1.00mm metric thread pitch = 25.4 TPI . Very close to 26 TPI for the 3/8" axle.
The Conversion 25.4 TPI = 0.03937 = 1.000mm

Here are those cheap QR axles. As you can see the much more plentiful rear 3/8" 26TPI Schwinn cones and nuts fit on these. They are indeed 3/8" with 26TPI. You can use the cones and nuts that come with these because they are very close once you sort out the keyed washer issue. The new QR axles use a serrated locking jamb nut instead of keyed washers. The new QR axles are not keyed. The fronts would have worked but the cones they come with are too long to fit in between the fork dropouts, bummer. The sellers description on the size of these axles is really bad, since they are practically giving them away I took a chance.

The axle on the right has been cut down to Super Sport specs. Sorry for the blur but you get the point.

schwinn axles 001.JPG

Description
Description:

• 100% brand new and high quality
  • Can refit the ordinary axle into quick release axle
  • The best product for cyclist for cycling lovers
  • Easy to use
Specifications:

• Color: Black + silver
  • Material: Metal
  • Front axle length: Approx. 4.25inch/108mm
  • Rear axle length: Approx. 5.83inch/148mm
  • Thread exterior diameter: Approx. 0.37inch/9.5mm
Package included:

• 2 x Quick release axle
Note:
1.Please allow a little size error due to manual measurement.
2.Please be reminded that due to lighting effects and monitor's brightness/contrast settings etc, the color tone of the website's photo and the actual item could be slightly different.

lots of sellers of these on Ebay

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=271956216200

This may be one of those cases where it's best to visit your friendly local bike shop.
Hopefully they have an experienced mechanic who knows the ins & outs of this issue.

This may be one of those cases where it's best to visit your friendly local bike shop.
Hopefully they have an experienced mechanic who knows the ins & outs of this issue.

This is one of those cases when I will know more than the "experienced mechanic". Thanks for the advice but that is never an option for me on something this simple. I already have it worked out anyway. I was just relaying some interesting information on some cheap axles I found for you guys to use if you like.

I thought these catalog pages would be a useful reference for this topic:

Schwinn Approved front hubs (Large).jpg

Schwinn Approved rear hubs (Large).jpg

Note that the "Used on original equipment from January 1965" is misleading. These "Schwinn Approved" hubs were identical to the 2nd gen. "Sprint" hubs that were introduced at that time. 1964 models used the 1st gen. Sprint hubs, prior to that Normandy round hole hubs were used. The branding on the hubs changed from "Sprint" to "Schwinn Approved" by 1968 (possibly partway through '67) however the design remained the same.

Last edited:
Back