When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Superior

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sigh1961

Finally riding a big boys bike
Is $390.00 a reasonable price for a Superior? Do you see anything missing or wrong with the bike?
The only problem is it looks like a 27" frame. I can ride it, but I am on tip-toe when I stop.
00P0P_aw4yWaYmzdu_1200x900.jpg

If it was a screamin deal id say jump on it....but id hold out for one in my size at that price tho.

A very nice bike tho..

That is actually a 1978 model (last year for these) in Sky Blue built on Friday July 28th, 1978 according to the badge number. It has the 2nd gen. forged Huret rear dropouts that are found only on some mid to late 1978 models. The frame size is 26", the largest of the three available sizes (others were 22" and 24"). Except for the tires, bar tape and missing toe clips/straps it appears to be very original including the saddle (which is rare). The decals on these are extremely fragile, on this bike they appear to be mostly intact but the cracking has started. The price is a bit high, but it might be worth it for the originality and decent paint, IF it fit you. You can see more pics here: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/5759853016.html

Here is the catalog page:

1978_13.jpg

Yeah, I was just wondering about pricing for the Superior. I have seen others that were $500-$600. Right now I am hoping to snag Eric's Voyager. Just a lot of stuff going on right now. Stove took a dump, have to go to Arizona in October for a wedding. Trying to save money for the daughters wedding. Life keeps getting in the way.

Last year for Filet brazed frames as well. My favorite Schwinn lightweight.

Yeah, I was just wondering about pricing for the Superior. I have seen others that were $500-$600. Right now I am hoping to snag Eric's Voyager. Just a lot of stuff going on right now. Stove took a dump, have to go to Arizona in October for a wedding. Trying to save money for the daughters wedding. Life keeps getting in the way.
It occurred to me that you being new to all this that you haven't yet had the pleasure of reading articles from the late Sheldon Brown website. When I was new to bikes, collecting anyway, thought and still think that this is some of the best stuff out there.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

Fillet brazed frames were built by Schwinn through '83 in Chicago and at least up till '89 in Greenville MS.

I'm not aware of other filet brazed Schwinn lightweight offerings after these described below.

Aside from the limited run of 28" continental's which is a factory custom of sorts because electroforged components were not produced for the head tube for a frame of this size. But this couldn't be described as a filet brazed frame in the traditional sense.

This is wrong?

"Schwinn bicycle names such as "Super Sport" and "Superior" have been re-used for different models over the years, in part to hold on to copyrighted names by periodically re-using them. This may explain why the Sports Tourer was renamed the Superior in 1976. After Schwinn's fillet-brazed line came to an end in 1978, the "Superior" name went on to be used for the so-called "baby Paramount." That Superior was a Paramount frameset (lugged) with Campagnolo's lower-level Gran Sport component group and a bright orange paint job."

"Schwinn's Chicago handbuild shop was closed in 1979 and production of the Paramount came to a halt at that time. Paramount production resumed in Waterford, Wisconsin in 1981."

In 1979 Schwinn offered one last fillet-brazed CrMo bicycle: The "Sport Limited." The Sport Limited was sold to use up a supply of Super Sport frames that Schwinn still had in inventory. It was available only in a Scarlet Red color, in both women's and men's frame designs. About 1000 Sport Limited's were made and sold to Schwinn dealers for resale as they saw fit. A factory-suggested retail price was not given, and the Sport Limited did not appear in any catalog. The Sport Limited used wheels and other parts from the fillet-brazed Superior. An interesting feature of the Sport Limited was that although the frame had an Ashtabula bottom-bracket shell for one-piece cranks (like the Super Sport), a conversion bottom-bracket spindle was used to fit a "Schwinn Approved LeTour" aluminum-alloy cotterless crankset.

The technology of Schwinn's fillet brazed models has been eclipsed by today's bicycle frame, shifting, and braking technology. And the strategy of fillet brazing has been eclipsed too. But it is worth remembering this peculiar little chapter in the story of Chicago Schwinns.

Information for this article came from interviews with members of the Schwinn Bicycle Company (conducted in 1989), Schwinn Consumer Relations, the Schwinn History Center in Chicago, several Schwinn Bicycle Shops, Schwinn catalogs, and Mr. Robert Evans. Special thanks to Mr. Jim Hurd.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

Last edited:
Back