When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shimano Freewheel Reassembly

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

thom

Look Ma, No Hands!
I wanted to remove the freewheel on my Western Flyer ten speed to check it out and restore or replace the chrome pie plate behind it. However I was not able to get the assembly off, even after a trip with it to the local bike shop. I did remove the gears leaving only the inner part screwed onto the hub. Not being able to disassemble any farther , I will just learn to live with the rusty backside of the pie plate. Now I need to reassemble the stack of gears onto the back part. I know how to use grease to hold the loose ball bearings, and there are a bunch of them, in place during reassembly. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

RJ's video is a good one . Removing freewheels is quite simple once you have the right tools. Some may need a little penetrating oil before you start.

I see a lot of people on youtube horsing on freewheel tools with a crescent wrench while holding the rim (and flexing it sideways) with the other hand.
Best way to do it is Sheldon's way, put the tool in a vise, inflate the tire and rotate the wheel with two hands.

I wanted to remove the freewheel on my Western Flyer ten speed to check it out and restore or replace the chrome pie plate behind it. However I was not able to get the assembly off, even after a trip with it to the local bike shop. I did remove the gears leaving only the inner part screwed onto the hub. Not being able to disassemble any farther , I will just learn to live with the rusty backside of the pie plate. Now I need to reassemble the stack of gears onto the back part. I know how to use grease to hold the loose ball bearings, and there are a bunch of them, in place during reassembly. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Put up a photo of the the hub and I'm sure we can tell you exactly the tool you need to get the freewheel off or at least the rest of it.

I've assembled freewheels before, but not with the hub attached to the wheel. The only difference will be putting on the inner bearings. I need to put this wheel back together now and deal with the pie plate later, after I get the proper tool. Thanks.

I'm surprised you saved all the tiny little bearings. I've taken freewheels apart to reuse the rims and spokes, and the bearings go everywhere. Never tried putting one back together, though. Good luck.

This assembly, from the point of the items in the photo, is slow and methodical, but you should
not have any real issue. A light smear of grease hold the bearings for assembly.
Run some citrus , WD40 etc. through it to rinse grease out and oil the freewheel generously.

The removal of the freewheel is very simple - with the correct tool and a vice or long handle
adjustable wrench.

Any tool a bicycle mechanic is a retail store should have access to
and know how to use.

A very basic operation.

You should look for new bicycle store.

I tried Sheldon Brown's rubber band and string tip to hold the pawls in place while reassembling the freewheel but could not get it to work. Guess I had the wrong size rubber band. I was able to use a twist-tie from a bread bag.

You can likely remove the remaining body with the correct tool.

If it is a Regina, use the tool with the shoulder and use an axle nut to secure the tool in place.

A vice to lock the tool in is FAR superior to a hand held wrench.

Very surprised the LBS could not remove it.

Back