When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Mead Cycle Co. Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
SORRY ... THE BADGE THREAD is in the "General Discussion about Old Bicycles".

.......... patric

OF ALL THE THINGS i've ever lost .. i miss my mind, the most.

1909 Mead Sentinel

2814749323_12c01f17f8_o-1.jpg

not mine btw. I don't think those are correct period wheels though being metal clad. I'm not sure when they started making those. Thought that was more a 20's thing. Corrections welcome.

thanks,

Chris

Pelletman, nice early Mead example! Love those spoon brakes.

Here's a close up of a poster with a copyright of 1897:

8060932475_7b15ffdb8b_b-1.jpg

Thanks! I guess I have to assume the coaster brake doesn't belong on this bike since it has the spoon brake..

I was wondering the same thing as I looked at the pics - it's a great coaster though. Maybe they were sometimes used together with spoon brakes? Dunno.

Maybe they were sometimes used together with spoon brakes? Dunno.

There was some people in the industry that weren't sold on the coaster brake idea. In fact it was illegal to sell a bike in France, England, Germany or most of Europe that did not have a hand brake in the early 1900's. That may be why some of the early caliper type brakes were from Europe while in America the coaster brake was being put on most of the new bikes. American manufacturers were restricted from selling in Europe because they did not allow for a coaster brake only bike to be imported!!! This is one of the reasons stated in early tariff hearings in the US Congress to increase tariffs on European imports. But more on that in my J L Mead thread later. So I can see having both put on as an upgrade or "just to be sure" kinda thing, not totally trusting these new "coaster" brakes.

Back to more pics of Meads! These courtesy of the Smithsonian online collection:

8024678907_b61fca3704_k-1.jpg

8024678655_489e029680_k-1.jpg

8024672264_000fb1cb15_k-1.jpg

Back