When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sierra Brown Schwinn Supersport

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinn499

I live for the CABE
Picked this one up today for a song! Sierra brown is one of my favorte Schwinn colors. This ones gonna shine when shes all done. Its just crusty enought to make it fun to make look brand new again. I love projects like this. Looks to be completely original down to the tires, nice rack, and block genny to boot! The Brooks is soft and still like new. The frame build date is B8230 (Feb. 1968). I really dig the chrome front fork, its a nice touch.

14706472609_8f56551883_c-1.jpg

14706446450_58da9b80c0_c-1.jpg

14890057531_f08ff7231a_c-1.jpg

14893080175_0586f23b70_c-1.jpg

14870134856_87e3522d57_c-1.jpg

14706418440_87a024937d_c-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it will clean up nice!

The pedals are not orig to the bike, they should be early Atoms. I have a 69 in that color and it looks good when cleaned up. I've since changed the bars back to the orig AVA (mine were badly bent).

Attachments

• 2012-03-11f 1968 Sierra Brown Schwinn Super Sport bike.JPG
    2012-03-11f 1968 Sierra Brown Schwinn Super Sport bike.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,840
  • 2012-03-11i 1968 Sierra Brown Schwinn Super Sport bike.JPG
    2012-03-11i 1968 Sierra Brown Schwinn Super Sport bike.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 615
Kool find.I have had many Super Sports.Nice to have the Brooks saddle.The fork may be a replacement.I have never seen a S.S.with a chrome fork but I am no expert.

Thanks everyone. Nice to hear from you Lee!

Seems there are some interesting things about this bike, its looks rather untouched at first glance, does not look like its had a wrench to it anywhere, but it has a few parts and pieces that dont quite match up. Im not very well versed in these mid to late 60's SSs, as this is my first time coming across one, but Metacortex was schooling me on some details...gotta pull the crank and check some other details to get some more answers..

First I want to say fantastic bike! At first I didn't think I would like Sierra Brown but after having a bike in that color and seeing it in person I really like it. Also that is one of the nicest vintage Brooks saddles I've seen, and those years it came with the nicer embossed metal badge as well.

The last year of a chrome fork on the Super Sports was 1970. They went to painted in 1971....

Lee is absolutely correct. I would also note that was a very last minute change. The '71 consumer catalog photo shoot that took place in early Sept. '70 in Hawaii actually used a Super Sport (and Continental) with full chrome forks, the proof photos showing that were printed in the Nov. '70 Reporter dealer newsletter. After changing the spec. from chrome to painted, rather than re-shoot the photos they "colorized" the forks in the photos instead. In other words the fork in this photo was actually chrome when the photo was taken: http://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1971_1980/1971_12.html

Anyway, back to the bike at hand here. I can't wait to see you work your magic!

First I want to say fantastic bike! At first I didn't think I would like Sierra Brown but after having a bike in that color and seeing it in person I really like it. Also that is one of the nicest vintage Brooks saddles I've seen, and those years it came with the nicer embossed metal badge as well.

Lee is absolutely correct. I would also note that was a very last minute change. The '71 consumer catalog photo shoot that took place in early Sept. '70 in Hawaii actually used a Super Sport (and Continental) with full chrome forks, the proof photos showing that were printed in the Nov. '70 Reporter dealer newsletter. After changing the spec. from chrome to painted, rather than re-shoot the photos they "colorized" the forks in the photos instead. In other words the fork in this photo was actually chrome when the photo was taken: http://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1971_1980/1971_12.html

Anyway, back to the bike at hand here. I can't wait to see you work your magic!

Glad to hear from you Cody and Metacortex!!

That is a very clean project, looks like all it needs is a set of Early Atoms and toe clips to be complete. Looking. forward to seeing the finished pics!

A little trip to the parts dep. and whalah ... some early atoms ... the toe clips and straps were actually present but I will not be using them on the final product...I wanna ride this bad boy, and they just get damaged and are in the way IMO ... sometimes I like to kick my feet out and give a big "wahhhwhooo!" to the world...cant do that strapped in :D

14722388628_eae17d5de8_c-1.jpg

14722360639_7269dff790_c-1.jpg

pulled the crank and its a "SA 2 67", still unsure about the riveted tag "Sprint" derailleurs as Metacortex pointed out in email...these were used 64-65 but seem to be original to the bike as far as I can tell...

Never seen this freewheel before....new one on me...hubs are also un-dated "Schwinn Approved Made In France" and they have a small stamped "D" after made in france...

14722372269_e112f8cbfe_c-1.jpg

There was a seat bag on the bike when I go it, heres the loot :D ... was hoping for a couple silver dimes but I can appreciate the comb ... my hair looks like Ace Ventura after every ride ...

14886041336_1a44543787_c-1.jpg

and last but not least ... a little elbo grease to show how nice this color is with some tlc ... sierra brown ... so under rated :cool:

14722366419_7fc4ddc65e_c-1.jpg

Back