When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snap Tank

-

rusty.kirkpatrick

I live for the CABE
Got this piece at my first swap in Texas, figured I overpaid, but bought it anyway. Think it's a 40', has a G 0 serial. Obviously someone put their own spin on it. Has the one year only mailbox stickers on the guard. Has scrapes and scratches and figured there wouldn't be any paint left. Spent all morning hunting boxes in town to start parting it.
IMG_1368.JPG

Took the tank off first and figured it'd be bare rusty metal or another red bike underneath. Surprised to see yellow. Tried removing a little paint from the bottom the tank and was surprised to see more yellow.
IMG_1369.JPG

One thing led to another and it looked like I'm in it for the long haul now. Stripping paint is my least favorite thing about old bikes. A necessary evil in my opinion. Probably gonna have carpet tunnel when I'm done. As far as I got til I ran out of Goof Off.
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG

Wiped a little of the frame and think it'll clean up ok.
IMG_1372.JPG

Got this piece at my first swap in Texas, figured I overpaid, but bought it anyway. Think it's a 40', has a G 0 serial. Obviously someone put their own spin on it. Has the one year only mailbox stickers on the guard. Has scrapes and scratches and figured there wouldn't be any paint left. Spent all morning hunting boxes in town to start parting it. View attachment 408610
Took the tank off first and figured it'd be bare rusty metal or another red bike underneath. Surprised to see yellow. Tried removing a little paint from the bottom the tank and was surprised to see more yellow.View attachment 408609
One thing led to another and it looked like I'm in it for the long haul now. Stripping paint is my least favorite thing about old bikes. A necessary evil in my opinion. Probably gonna have carpet tunnel when I'm done. As far as I got til I ran out of Goof Off.
View attachment 408608 View attachment 408607
Wiped a little of the frame and think it'll clean up ok.View attachment 408606
I've always liked that yellow/black paint scheme on these:cool:

No matter if this thing was painted with a Squirt Gun it would still be beautiful....this is my all-time favorite bike, great tank, frame, guard, fenders, Colson stand, Carrier...everything!

No matter if this thing was painted with a Squirt Gun it would still be beautiful....this is my all-time favorite bike, great tank, frame, guard, fenders, Colson stand, Carrier...everything!

I agree, might take a while, but should be nice once I'm done.

Back