When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Found this early 54 Jag (53 frame #) pretty much as some teen hot rodded it back in the late 50's at Pomona swap back in the mid 90's, I added crusty tank yrs ago and recently the chain guard, struts ad of course tires, one of the few post war Schwinn's I've keep and a great rider!, Oh ya, people think the bars are weird but I have seen many OG 50's customs (my Dads/cousins 55 spitfire for one) don't know if this was a socal thing (predecessor of the stingray which started here) but also looks like bars in the 53 motorcycle movie Wild Ones so who knows?
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6933.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG

Last edited:
Not really sure why some choose to post here how much they dislike this subject...o_O

They are missing the point.

They will tell you that everyone has a right to an opinion.
And I agree with that.

But they fail whether on purpose or not, to observe the title of this thread.

You are asking who prefers.

They are disregarding the purpose of your thread which shows a lack of respect.

If you had asked, "What is your opinion of crusty bikes?"

Then I would respect their opinion even if they are different than my own.

After a while, I usually block those that I feel have no positive thing to
add.

Last edited:
I like crust.I like Pie crust,pizza crust,etc.I see the trend is not just bikes.Old cars also are left as is.I believe in the car collecting many leave them as found because ya hate to spend $10,000 on a paint lob to have to worry about it getting scratched.I like bikes that are original even if they dont have great paint jobs.

If the bike is "Crusty", I love looking at them. These little crusticles appear alive...this 1 is from the Canyon of Laguna Beach and it will get left alone. 1939 Hartford
View attachment 400510 View attachment 400511 View attachment 400512 View attachment 400513 View attachment 400514
For me I want to see that bike cleaned up (not perfect) and looking as proud as it did when some young boy was riding it around and thought he was the king of all the territory that he could cover on it. Nothing wrong with the way you want to keep it just my 2 cents.

I feel a bike could always be restored down the road if you decide to but you never can go back,I like to show the life the bike has lived, there are plenty of bikes that have NO OG paint or original character, those are prime candidates for restoration, in the 80's alot of bikes we would consider a 7+ survivors were redone without hesitation, the 3 restored bikes I still own had no OG paint and maybe even a mix of colors (not original paint), this is another early 54 Jag I saved from a life of blue house paint, and as I said I can always restore down the road if I change my mind
IMG_6848.JPG
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6846.JPG

Back