When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
This sure looks like the 37 Ford Slant Back I almost bought at the Pomona Swap back in 99.

img_6929-jpg.jpg

I prefer not to preserve the crust.
Crust on bikes doesn't appeal to me. I like patina to the point that I can still wax and polish on it. Just me though. I do enjoy the pics. Crusty TOC bikes look OK, because I expect to see crust on anything 100+ years old. BTW, if my post isn't in the spirit the thread calls for, please delete it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Not really sure why some choose to post here how much they dislike this subject...o_O

Bring on the as-found riders! Post up your pics and a lil about the bike.

For me I want to see that bike cleaned up (not perfect) and looking as proud as it did when some young boy was riding it around and thought he was the king of all the territory that he could cover on it. Nothing wrong with the way you want to keep it just my 2 cents.

I like pie crust, pizza crust, and bread crust. Crust on bikes doesn't appeal to me. I like patina to the point that I can still wax and polish on it. Just me though. I do enjoy the pics. Crusty TOC bikes look OK, because I expect to see crust on anything 100+ years old.
:rolleyes:

I re-wrote my post while you were quoting it. Sorry if it wasn't the opinion you were looking for. Feel free to delete it, or just ask and I will. No big deal.
It's all good. I think we all like a bike that shines and looks it's best, especially if in original condition. I just think that sometimes a bike looks pretty good left as-is. If the paint shines up nice, but the plated parts all crusty and rusty, it's gonna look strange. Leaving it alone sometimes looks better, costs less to get it on the road and requires less time and elbow grease. If you choose to, you can always go further with derusting of parts or even swapping in nicer plated pieces.

It's all good. I think we all like a bike that shines and looks it's best, especially if in original condition. I just think that sometimes a bike looks pretty good left as-is. If the paint shines up nice, but the plated parts all crusty and rusty, it's gonna look strange. Leaving it alone sometimes looks better, costs less to get it on the road and requires less time and elbow grease. If you choose to, you can always go further with derusting of parts or even swapping in nicer plated pieces.
I agree 100%. None of my bikes are restored. We're talking about different levels of being left as-is here. The thread author asked who prefers to preserve the crust. I should have read that more carefully and kept my fingers off the keyboard! LOL

Back