When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedsters

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OldSkipTooth

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
66copper.jpg
Who can give me the skinny on early 26" Schwinn speedster frames? It seems the early frames have much more top tube slope meeting the rear stays? When did production start? I am on the lookout for an early one for a project. Any info is helpful.

Last edited:
The middleweight Speedster's last year of production was 1961, and the first lightweight Speedster was the 63 model. Can't comment on the top tube bend changing, never owned one.

Thanks, I thought it might be frame size, collapses the geometry.

I checked the specs on a few years of the Speedsters and there was only one frame for each size, 26", 24" and 20". The bend looks the same on all the 26" models, at least to my eyes.

For 1963 through 1970 I believe the only Lightweight in a 17" frame was the Speedster, but starting in '71 that size was also available in Racer and/or Collegiate models. Whether it was called a Speedster, Racer or Collegiate, those Lightweights with 17" frames were "camelback" style. :

1963dlr_Speedster.jpg

1971_17.jpg

1972_15.jpg

1977_10.jpg

I believe the camelback style was changed to a sloping straight tube in 1980.

Last edited:
Back