When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer Fork Question

-

Tiberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought a 1963 deluxe American that had a lot of paint loss on the fork. I had seen that a springer fork was an option for that bike, so I thought, no problem, I'll add one. I bought a fork with s bolts and put it on the bike. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I tried to install the handlebars. The stem wouldn't fit!! I had a 1968 starlet iii hanging up and the stem from that bike fit fine. What's going on???

I bought a 1963 deluxe American that had a lot of paint loss on the fork. I had seen that a springer fork was an option for that bike, so I thought, no problem, I'll add one. I bought a fork with s bolts and put it on the bike. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I tried to install the handlebars. The stem wouldn't fit!! I had a 1968 starlet iii hanging up and the stem from that bike fit fine. What's going on???

Is there a difference in the inside diameter of the crown nuts? V/r Shawn

Steer tube might be post 1965,after they went to the smaller,dated goosenecks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Your springer steer tube is from a post 1965 bike which had a smaller inside diameter.

Mark

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ok, thanks for the info. How can I be sure to get the correct fork next time? Do I just look for a fork with AS bolts? Is there anything else to look for? The bottom of the steer tube (red head tube) has welds while the bottom of the steer tube on my 1963 Mark v Jaguar is smooth (black). Is that another way to tell the difference or is that a repair? I have a 1968 starlet iii to clean up for my wife. Could I put the springer fork on her bike?

Thanks, Bart

Back