When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starlet/hollywood What The?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CrazyDave

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Whatcha all make of this? I thought for sure it was a starlet until I looked at the seemingly original hollywood decal on the chainguard. Bike seems all original with a story to back it up, thoughts? One of them bikes you hear about that random parts where thrown at?

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0700.JPG

middleweight
The Starlet was a well equipped model and the Hollywood was a basic unequipped model.

yup its a middleweight...I can find NO info on a hollywood ever having that chainguard, I guess I shoulda been more specific.

Did you happen to get a serial number? That Hollywood was more than likely a 57 or 58 model and no catalog pictures for that model either year. The stripped down Wasp had the deluxe guard so a 57 58 Hollywood with the deluxe guard wouldn't be out of the question. Before the Starlet, the Hollywood was the Queen Bee and she wore that guard since day one.

Bob has some OG decals so maybe you could pick that up and give her some loving and a guard lift. :p

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=351458969204

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Schweeeet! Thanks! It is a 58, I could not find any pics of one like this, but it is stock after all! I kinda dig it, its a lil different! For $10, i got the decals comin too :D Ordered afew things from him before but don't know him...been pleased..I think I got the only 58 hollywood left. lol.

Schweeeet! Thanks! It is a 58, I could not find any pics of one like this, but it is stock after all! I kinda dig it, its a lil different! For $10, i got the decals comin too :D Ordered afew things from him before but don't know him...been pleased..I think I got the only 58 hollywood left. lol.

Here's another I found on the net. hard to read the guard but owner says it's a Hollywood and it's a 3 speed which makes sense that yours could have been too because of the rear fender stay, it is made for rear caliper brakes. Yet, I can't see on your bike but can this blue. It's fork may be wrong because that should have a mounting hole for the front caliper brake too. It's, in essence, the same set up for a lady's 1954 and up, corvette, same frame just different color scheme and guard. Although if it had a Bendix manual 2-speed there would be no need for rear caliper brake, yet, I have a 55 girls corvette with manual 2 speed both rear fender stay and the fork has mounts for caliper brakes. With that frame, all options would be availed, standard; bendix coaster, manual 2 speed bendix and 3 speed Sturmey-Archer.

This blue bike appears to have been modified for a 3-speed because, there's no back brake and front is a universal adaptable on the side of fork.

schwinnhollywoodladies-1306516639.jpg

Last edited:
Love this place :D Thanks Jeff, your knowledge is appreciated. I'm learnin'!

There is another possibility with these but hardly makes sense when they've got the rear bracket for caliper brakes. I've never known much about the Sturmey-archer TCW 3 speed with coaster brake made from 1952-1972. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/tcw.html Yet that blue bike may have it on there, and I was browsing the catalogs, those front universal caliper brakes were issued on some Americans listed from 1955-57, and there's no 58 catalogs but, it's also just as likely, that had the Bendix 2-speed manual with coaster brake and the universal frontt caliper brakes.

Yet probably why I never knew about these is that, they're complete garbage. they'd fail to brake in high gear and no brakes if accidently slipped into neutral. Accordingly, Strumey-archer made several models in efforts to solve it but couldn't. but it is likely that's what's on that blue 58 Hollywood and if you're considering an upgrade into it, DON'T! Rather, the smart up-grade would be what Schwinn has listed on 3-speeds and stick some caliper brakes on that bracket. . Bendix 2 speed manual, bendix 2-speed automatic 'Kick back' etc.

sturmey-archer_tcw.jpg

Last edited:
Back