When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Serial Number

-

wf_teaff

On Training Wheels
I have a "bicycle built for two ". And it has a strange serial number on it. There is no letter in front of the first number. 49801 is all that it says.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've seen a few like that. The serial numbers were stamped on the dropout prior to being used in building a frame and the tandems additional tube was added covering up the letter when it was welded/brazed on.

Ive seen few like that in '65. Sometimes if you look really close you can see the letter stamps VERY lightly.

I'm thinking that the fender brace is covering up one digit, should be 6, and the month letter was brazed over or wiped out. So if the 4 is the actual first digit then that BBF2 is a 64 model.

I go with the first letter being covered up too. Mine was almost unreadable on the earlier one. It is a January stamp - A351146. The other is a May of '64

REC

I have a BBFT with covered serial number as well. You partially see the first letter the has been brazed over.

Back