When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tech ?ion.

-

Evkev

Look Ma, No Hands!
K. I've got a 1936 rear wheel with a Morrow hub. When I went to pedal it would slip, and had pretty bad braking.
I took it apart and didn't find anything obviously amiss.
I broke the brake shoe putting it back together but that's another matter.
Anyway what im wondering is, the shoe obviously expands against the drum. But it appears that you grease the whole thing thru the hole in the hub, but doesn't the grease then inhibit shoe to drum contact, so the brakes don't grab? Am I not seeing something?
So im in the market for a brake shoe, or better yet a whole wheel or at the least a hub.
Thanks

That is an oil port on the hub shell. Used for occasional oiling. I've always thought to help prevent squealing during braking, but I could be wrong on that. Greasing should be done during assembly. Other than the bearings, a thin coat of grease is all you need. To much grease in a hub will have negative effects- Lots of extra friction, slow engagement for braking and pedaling. It also just makes a mess when it eventually oozes out of the hub.

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=24255.0

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/info-on-rebuilding-morrow-hub.7697/

Best brake for hills was the Morrow. All the Lookout Mtn racers around Denver swore by them back when they were cutting edge, and even were the top choice of the Marin clunker scene in the 70s.

If yours isn't working then one of these 2 links will fix it if your parts aren't worn out. Grooving the shoes if they don't have them already always makes them work much better. I just cut some rough grooves in and call it good, but the jig and Dremel method above looks promising.

@Autocycleplane; the SBF states difference between early 36 and later 48? Drum. I bought a part off the bay. (Adjustment cone) After closer inspection the part was not as tall as the earlier 36 . OK. What about axles? Are they same?

Axles should be the same, bendix style threads and tpi

Some of the "NOS" on feePay appear to me to be manufactured much later/differently than the originals. I've been burned too....

Thanks for the info im eagerly awaiting a part so I can throw it back together.
Good community here peeps helping peeps that's cool

I'll have to look closer at my pile of parts. The guy sending me the shoe I need is an old timer on here it seems pretty sure he's sending the correct part.

Back