When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dearly DePARTED - Photo Reference Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
The Dearly DePARTED

This thread got away from it's original intent of just showing reference photos of bicycles that have been parted out. I still believe we should have to wrestle with our conscience before we part out some of the great old bikes, but for me, this thread was a mistake as it was set up. If anyone is parting out a bike and would like to share some photos of it before it goes away, this thread might be a good place to do that as Gary Mc suggested in his excellent post #46 on this thread.

Last edited:
Dave, before anyone comes online to beat you up about this post I'll say I think this gallery is a great idea. None or us will ever own or be able to save all of the original bikes left in the world (at least not until there are fewer than 100 left) and this gallery follows what I have been doing for years; saving images of original bikes when they appear so they will be around for reference when we all try to build accurate replicas of the bikes that no longer exist.

I should also note you may have posted the Yellow Colson’s obit. in advance of its demise. A particular Castelli restored version of that bike no longer exists but it was a built up replica. The bike you posted is an original that I believe may still be alive and contemplating this mortal coil

I actually wish this thread didn't exist....

ETA

...unless you edit the title of the thread and call it a "Photo Reference Thread"

This "forever able to edit" feature now active on the CABE is good for the BUY/SELL/WTB Forums as you can update if it's sold or a price change but for regular forums you could wreak some major havoc with this new found power. You could make people appear downright silly if you were to change a thread name. Of course I am glad a photo reference thread exists.

Last edited:
Editorial Font used (IMO)

documentation of originals before being parted is a serious endeavor and I applaud any effort to save these relics, whether in documenting/posting or participating in the active restorations market (buying/selling parts). The intentions of someone wanting to restore an old bike they have (with missing correct parts) may show that he is doing the right thing in restoring... yet if he (bike restorer) has a bunch of other people who have the same intentions, he and the other hundreds of people like him have suddenly created a demand for a market. Hard to blame folks once money is involved and peoples choice of how they acquire money is involved also. That is something I don't want to tell people what to do... or how to do it or what is fair or what is right or what is correct. I'm not here to set moral compass' or judge ones intent.

Thank you

ETA I believe Rat Rods are part of our history also... so go figure.

Last edited:
OK,good thread Marko.You are in charge of keeping it updated.I think you should also post bikes from other forums so we can check them out.

Back