When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Amazon/Mead racer.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

IronBrass&Steel

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked up a new project at a farm sale this weekend! I'm still not sure on the exact year, but I'm guessing it's 1902 or earlier, my gut says earlier. I believe it's a racing model, however I haven't been able to track down the history yet.

It's a 24" tall frame, with a 40" wheelbase. Amazon, built by Mead Cycle Co. I was able to find an old thread on here where a member's wife has a ladies Amazon. He mentions the 1900 Mead Catalog having a men's version as well.

Enough talk, here's the good stuff! (She still is a little rough!)
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3633.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3636.JPG
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3641.JPG

I'd love to get it rideable. However, upon close inspection there is one small rust hole on the frame and one on a fork. They are both smaller than a pencil eraser, and I could easily weld them up, but it makes me nervous about the rest of the frame.

I'd love to know what you think! Is it rideable with some work? Anyone have scans or a reprint of the 1900 Mead catalog, or know anything about the Amazon line??

Thanks! Zach.

Last edited:
Awesome! I would bring it to someone who could "scope" it, most of the frame builders I know have a little flexcord cam to inspect frame joints etc, that would give you an idea.
I sold my Mead Argonaut of the same year and regretted it since, if you're interested in selling no matter condition let me know. As a wallhanger it is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I would bring it to someone who could "scope" it, most of the frame builders I know have a little flexcord cam to inspect frame joints etc, that would give you an idea.
I sold my Mead Argonaut of the same year and regretted it since, if you're interested in selling no matter condition let me know. As a wallhanger it is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call on the scope! I actually restore antique cars for a living, so I have one in my shop! Early bicycles are a fairly recent hobby that I've picked up in the last few years, so I don't always consider how to utilize my automotive tools!

With seat stays like that, I would venture 1893-6, 6 maybe due to decent size chain wheel....
Love the Chain wheel too!

My first impression when I saw it was that it may be mid to late 1890's. I have struck out finding much information on it however. The joints/frame construction looks early to me. Most of the Meads I've seen from 1900-1905 have smooth joints, not the overlapped/press fit joints like this one. Sorry if my terminology is a little off, still learning!

Well I spent a bit of time on the Amazon tonight. I think the black paint is going to clean up and look great! There is more of it than I originally thought! It looks as though the forks were actually nickel, there is a few remnants flaking off on the inside, but I wasn't able to get a decent photo.

I was able to free the rear hub from its tangle of spokes, but I have found zero identification on it. I think it may be original as it matches the description of The National Model F which I came across while researching Crescents. I'm still not certain who the frame builder was, both Crescent and National are very similar to mine, but the rear stays are alluding me!

I'd love to here opinions from everyone! I'll get some photos in the sun tomorrow that will show the paint better, and I'll try to get some of the rust out spots. I am still hopeful that I can make it a rider, as a tall guy the size would be perfect.
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3658.JPG
IMG_3662.JPG

I found this advertisement that another member had posted, the measurements and descriptions seem to match.

Bet the BB are screwed in Crescent style. And Crescent Sweden was still making that BB in the 70s

Back