When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC Odometer... neat!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
Just picked up this neat odometer... seems to be turn of the century or teens. It's marked 28" on the back so I assume it's for a 28" wheel safety bike.

The dial is porcelain like early pocket watches, in fact the maker is New York Standard Watch Co.

The indices are marked in "20 Yard Units", as seen at the top of the dial, and there is a blued steel needle that travels around the outside edge. It works nicely too; the needle travels the circumference and the numbers click over.

Case looks to be nickel plated brass, and the crystal is thick and beveled, likely original glass.

Thought ya'll would like to see it. If anyone has any more info on it, I'd like to hear from you!

Balloonatic 0-0

006.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

Great! Thanks for posting a photo of yours @Junkhunter! Any chance you will post a photo of the back side and mount? I don't know how this one mounts?

A photo of the spoke mount nub to push the wheel would be nice too...

Thanks!

IngoMike, that cyclometer doesn't look to have the porcelain dial? Interesting... and it also has a patent date, whereas mine and Junkhunter's don't... interesting.. maybe it's a later version.

I love that article barrracuda... is there a date on it? Cycling was quite serious business at that time... locomotion was limited to the horse, and train... your own personal vehicle was quite the big deal. A lot of the literature I have seen call early safety bikes the "machine" and suggest it live in the house. The ad for Spalding Bicycle shows an early safety at $100. That's probably $3000 today... a good chunk of your salary for a bicycle.

Trepanier 106 A.jpg

It's a great glimpse into the times...

Love your avatar there barracuda! I was at Fabers just before they closed, and before the fire. Fabulous memories of that place and folks. So sad to see it disappear.

Do you know if they ever rebuilt the place, or what it is now? I haven't been to San Jose since.

Do you know if they ever rebuilt the place, or what it is now? I haven't been to San Jose since.

I used to live there in the house, but I haven't been to that part of San Jose for about two years. My understanding is that the building is still under renovation, and the new owner is intent on making the storefront a saloon/eatery. The way of all things.

1895:

cyclo1.jpg

Last edited:
Back