When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Understanding Schwinn Middleweights.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cyberpaull

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi, My name is Paul. Can someone explain to me the differences between these three model bike from the 60's. They all roughly look the same to me. Schwinn Jaguar, Corvette, and American?. Thanks

Hi Paul,there is a good book out on schwinn middle weight bikes,Check here on this site scott may have it or i know news letter by john has then.Has all the info. you need about then.

The Jaguar and Corvette are basically the same,,they both came single, two and three speed.

The Jaguar came complete with front rack, tank, rear rack and headlight.

The Corvette didnt have a tank and came with a front rack.

The American was different than both because it was fully made in America. Jags and Vettes had parts from Europe,

You wont see a 3 speed American cause Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub was made overseas.

You will see a 2 speed American cause that hub was made here.

Those are the basic differences.

Well, there's four different Jaguars in the Middleweight line. Each has similar yet different equipment. Full tanks vs. slimline tanks, different rack styles in different years, stainless fenders vs. chrome fenders, etc.

The Jags are generally considered the top of the line Middleweight, these things were decked. The Corvettes are sort of a middle-range bike, some neat and high quality extra equipment, but not a lot of it. The American line was a basic bike, but not entirely a budget bike, these had solid parts, but didn't come with anything extra to speak of, no lights or racks or tanks. (With the exception of the Deluxe American line.) All these bikes used the same frame, with the exception of mounts for caliper brakes when so equipped.

For '62 the retail (zone 3 to get exact) for these bikes equipped as 2 speeds: Jag IV, $87.95. Corvette, $79.95. American, $62.95. And for comparison, the lowest price 2 speed middleweight was the Typhoon (painted rims, budget stem and pedals, etc) at $52.95.

Cheers, Geoff

i believe the only heavyweight after 54 was the wasp.everything after 54 was a middleweight up until about 78 when the klunker 5 came along.it was considered a ballooner.

Phantoms where made till 1959 and Wasp`s where made till 1964 i believe. Last of the Ballooners.

Back