When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Useful tools thread ---manufactured for bikes or not.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
PLEASE READ!!!!

THIS FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING YOUR OWN -- THANK YOU!

I am gonna ask that you PLEASE keep replies limited to comments on usefulness, alternatives and sources etc. PLEASE TRY TO AVOID THE "REPLY WITH QUOTE" feature. IE RELEVANT POSTS!

If you need to- use the THUMBS UP feature- if you simply agree -were helped -etc. (will see how this goes!) If good enough maybe we can get a sticky.

If you have questions PLEASE PM OR EMAIL ME or THE POSTER of the item you have questions on.

THANK YOU FOR HELPING MAKE THIS A USEFUL RESOURCE!
==========================================================================

START WITH A TAP. Gooseneck pinch bolt holes (and bolts) seem to have a special thread for the most part 3/8" 20TPI (Threads per Inch)

vs 16NC (16 TPI National Coarse) or 24NF(24 TPI National Fine) (NF=National Fine and NC=National Coarse, being US Standard Thread Designations)

I got mine here:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=251517638892 $10 shipped and Fast service.

_57JPG-5.jpg

Works like a charm!

Last edited:
Digital Caliper

CABE crops the pix clip to see the end with the depth measurement:
attachment.jpg

A digital caliper for precise measuring I am sure it is not accurate like a $$$$$$$ starrett but good enough for bike work. Probably cheaper at auction but I searched BUY IT NOW shipps from US ONLY when searching DIGITAL CALIPER.

I do not know the seller but it was important to me to buy one that ships from USA not China or hong kong. I got a carbon fiber one but I see stainless as well. I paid under $7 by shopping but was not worth the $3 bux just buy it.

Measures inside outside depth in both metric and Inch. Can't beat it!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=310969875432

Yes:
_57JPG-4.jpg

NO -noitce oval hole at far end -NO depth measuring possible
_57JPG-3.jpg

Last edited:
5" length of coat hanger

When replacing chains on anything with a rear derailleur I use a short piece of coat hanger with both ends bent in the same direction in a "J" shape to hook through the 3rd or 4th link of each end of the chain after I've installed the chain on the sprockets. This way I can check for correct chain length and makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to put the chain back together with my chain breaker.

Snap ring pliers, used here mostly for spreading clamps and stems just a bit while installing stuff:

20141111_047JPG-1.jpg

20141111_049JPG-1.jpg

Back