When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using NOS paint - any good?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

shawn57187

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently bought some NOS Schwinn primer. I also bought a few cans of paint too.

Will this paint be any good? Has anyone tried NOS paint before?

s-l1600.jpg

I recently bought some NOS Schwinn primer. I also bought a few cans of paint too.

Will this paint be any good? Has anyone tried NOS paint before?

Tried it once a while back and had issues with it not drying.....stayed tacky. When you consider that 80% of a good paint job is the grunt work you do before applying paint, taking the chance is not worth it. I had to strip and go thru the whole prep process again.

A lot depends upon the type of paint and how old.

I have seen an un-opened 5 gallon metal can of army surplus paint from 1953 used to repaint a Korean War army jeep being restored with excellent results. When I saw the paint in the shop being stirred in the original army green metal bucket with the the federal stock numbers on it from 1953 I must say I was shocked. The paint was fine.

The problem with buying new old stock paint is there is no way in knowing how it was stored. How would one know if it ever was frozen from careless storage? The same goes for storage in hot areas. I would experiment with it before taking the final plunge....just saying.....

This is painted with that NOS lime on ebay. I bought it with the intention of doing touch ups but ended up doing the whole bike. What was surprising was how little was needed to adequately cover the entire bike frame. The half pint was enough to do this and all the experimenting I was doing with an airbrush before I decided that that was a dead end. I still have a little left over. I used it over left over Petes silver base coat. I let it dry a few weeks, hand buffed it out and slapped the decals on. Personally I would not have bothered with the Schwinn primer because it's nothing special, but I usually have plenty Sherwin Williams Kem Kromic on hand. Any primer that can be thinned with xylene is what you need.

Oh yeah, run it through two strainers doubled up, there was some crud in there.

100_3435.JPG

Last edited:
Tim Brandt or someone had some NOS cans of Schwinn paint from the 1930s. He (or whomever it was) was restoring some 1930s Schwinns at the time and decided to use the paint for the heck of it. It was hardened in the can, but he mixed it up with thinner and it actually liquefied and sprayed like new paint. Now he can say he restored the bikes using original paint. Pretty cool story.

I have seen an un-opened 5 gallon metal can of army surplus paint from 1953 used to repaint a Korean War army jeep being restored with excellent results. When I saw the paint in the shop being stirred in the original army green metal bucket with the the federal stock numbers on it from 1953 I must say I was shocked. The paint was fine.

The problem with buying new old stock paint is there is no way in knowing how it was stored. How would one know if it ever was frozen from careless storage? The same goes for storage in hot areas. I would experiment with it before taking the final plunge....just saying.....

I think this is exactly right. Many of the older, oil-based enamel paints can last a long time if stored correctly. I've even had luck with a couple cans of newer, alkyd enamels that were sitting for some years.

Some enamels can even be reconstituted if hardened, with mixing (I tend to think these were higher quality). Some cannot be saved because of improper storage.

Last edited:
Back