When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Wednesday! Show Your Bikes Here.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
image backup2 5195.jpg

Bought this 2 years ago been foolin with it ever sense. Not sure of the year. Tank, frame, fork all original all parts as much as I wanted to chrome were done. Massaged the frame and rear fender for the 26 x 57mm rear wheel. Did a few odds n ends custom on the headlight and tail light to suit me. original horn that I got working again.
ZvpcciK.jpg
bnATK2B.jpg
Wd6OPDc.jpg
gVluZ13.jpg
f6gcXpY.jpg
Xpj8K4t.jpg
pK6FMMd.jpg
lBY9ps0.jpg

About a month ago I posted a photo of a 1941 Columbia bicycle in this thread. I stated that the paint was as bright and shiny as the day that it was painted at the factory. The picture showed a bike that was an obvious repaint with many reproduction parts. I was having fun. I thought that some Cabe members would chime in and point out that it was obviously not a factory paint job and that I must be delusional. I figured that after a day or two I'd tell the history of the bike. To my amazement, there were no postings rebutting my seemingly outlandish claim. Just crickets!

As Paul Harvey would say "And now..... the rest of the story".

I purchased this bike from a guy named Ray that grew up just down the street from "The Pope", (That's what many of the locals called Columbia Manufacturing). It seems that about 15 years ago, Ray found this old rusty relic of a bike with lots missing parts. He dragged it down the street to Columbia's main office to see if he could get any info on the bike. Someone in the office told him to take it out to Jack, he'd know what it was. Ray's recollection of their first encounter was that Jack, whom he had never met, "knew who I was, knew my parents, knew all my relatives and even knew relatives of mine that I didn't know". It seemed that this was the start of a new friendship. Anyhow, Jack told him to leave the bike and he'd fix it up for him in his spare time and make it into a rider. Ray visited Jack many times while Jack was slowly bringing the bike back to life. It took about a year before it was finally done. Jack charged Ray a little over $100 for the work, which Ray says was "mostly for the paint".

So, here it again. A 1941 Columbia Rambler, restored by the original "Mr. Columbia" Jack Kowal, with paint as bright and shiny as the day it was painted at the factory. The second picture (courtesy of Ken Kowal, the current Mr. Columbia) shows the bike at the factory in post paint assembly.

Rambler.jpg

!cid__32e1c9a7-ccc8-4e78-624a-89b73a562dac@yahoo.jpg

Back