When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Today I rode my 36 Packard long wheelbase single bar over to Mike's house.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462657669.537144.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462657683.687121.jpg

Took the 37 Oriole for a shakedown after new grease added to bottom bracket.
Funny story, I posted pics of this bike last fall and again in March after putting the red tires on. Last fall put a rider wheelset on from a bike I sold to go on a long family ride. The Elgin wheelset needs work and is mismatched. It rode sluggishly so I turned back after a couple miles. Looked it over and saw nothing obvious. Chain was ok. Crank was turning freely and appeared to be adjusted ok. Back in 2013 I had taken bike completely apart to clean and regrease it. I also straightened the top bar of frame, it had a motor mounted at one time. Checked the frame alignment and put it away as winter was coming.

Fast forward to last fall, I put the rider wheels on and off I went. This spring I put the red tires on and went for a short ride, still rode like a pig. I figured the driveline was out of line or a bearing blew in the rear hub. Took it apart the other day and found the problem. Absolutely no grease in the bottom bracket! Then I remembered back in 2013 that I was out of grease when I rebuilt it and straightened the frame. I had put it all together anyway to check the driveline,etc. Everything was aligned ok. Since winter was coming I put it away and forgot about it. There it sat til last fall when I put the wheels on for that family ride. No wonder it was so sluggish. Groaning and squeaking.

Well, with the new grease it no longer rides like a pig. Looking forward to tomorrow's Mother's Day ride.

Edit: Yes, I did feel pretty stupid. It spun fine on the workbench but under load, sheesh!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back