When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Schwinn badge is this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Which war? ;)

In my case: not a lightweight, ballooner, Starlet; pre-my war [Vietnam] during the Korean conflict, frame built 6-10 Dec 1952. Ser. No. G13519...

52 Starlet 1.jpg
52 Starlet 2.jpg
52 Starlet 3.jpg

Last edited:
This may be an example of Schwinn using up a box of old parts... [pre-WWII]. My example agrees with Sir Mike 1983 of VA. It may well be same stock used on earlier lightweights, too...

My badge is Brass/face edges, wings,letters and [reg. R] appear nickle plate; shield background white paint.
Badge is SMALL; mounting hole centers, top & bottom are 2 19/32".

I have never seen the winged badge on a ballooner before. Wonder when that was put on that Starlet. :confused: The winged badge is associated with lightweights from the 50's thru most of the 60's.

I have never seen the winged badge on a ballooner before. Wonder when that was put on that Starlet. :confused: The winged badge is associated with lightweights from the 50's thru most of the 60's.

I know you have never seen the bicycle I got that badge from... I do have it all. PLEASE, look at the photos; then take a rule and look @ zillion of 1952-53 Schwinn frames with what you deem is the correct era badge, measure hole centers... Do you get @ 2 19/32"? The inside of the head-tube does not show any other holes.

The Starlet is OG paint/RUST White with Rose Details/with light green high-lites.

I have a 4-30 Apr 1952 Red Background [NOT BRASS planchett] badged Hornet... the hole centers are 3 7/32". I imagine that will be the most common find. My 1946 and 1 Dec 1950 ACE badged bikes have 2 3/16" hole centers.

Last edited:
Sho-nuf looks like that badge has been there for a bit!
Interesting tho: why isn't the headtube white under the badge?

You guys are a hard sell... This is an OG bike with many years of sun and rain exposure. The answer to your implication is "oxidation" caused by SUN exposure. My grandfather was not only an Illinois College graduate; but, he was also a farmer and a painter. He spent WWII in Tacoma, WA. painting US NAVY ships. He told me he could never understand why farmers painted their barns RED... as RED gave NO protection from the sun's ultra-violet rays. He meant any color with a red base... 'Rose' has a red base. On this bike is: oxy-red primer. The bike was totally painted with the 'Wimbledon white'. The 'rose' colored details were applied on top of the white. The green high-lites were then applied, adjacent or overlapping, BY HAND/or/at least by brush stroke, as pinstripes.

Here are photos, some, from when I first brought this home.
52 Starlet 4.jpg
52 Starlet 6.jpg
52 Starlet 7.jpg

The last photo just posted shows the oxidation without any 'cabe' style clean-up.

I decided to spend some time cleaning so you can see the difference between white and sun damaged 'rose' [a rusty orange tint].

52 Starlet 8.jpg
52 Starlet 9.jpg
52 Starlet one 0.jpg

A man asked: Where was this badge used? I had one; to help him I answered;and, it was on an OG paint bike. I have enough evidence to see that it has been the only badge ever on this bike; that there is no re-paint ever on this bike. Yes, I am old enough to remember that autos from late forties and early fifties that were brand new painted 'maroon' [dark red] were within three to five years of new, faded, ugly and flat, no shine... primer showing on roof and hood, on tops of fenders. Old, NOT senile.

I've been around the block more than once... The last twenty years were spent in manufacturing [includes machine work, assembly, testing and development].

HERE IS A PLAUSIBLE SCENARIO, especially @ Schwinn, a 'waste not' manufacturer. A White Starlet is almost fully assembled with her new white paint, rose details, and green accents... an assembly-line worker grabs a template and drills holes for badge install [it was Mon. or Fri.].
He threads the holes. He picks up a badge and decries: "!@#$&!". He hails the line foreman; explains that he has just built scrap; the foreman calls a super and other management. What badges do we have that fit the holes you made? OK, use that winged Schwinn... no foul, get this line moving.

Why did I try to help this guy with an answer?

Back