When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the difference between a Heavy weight and middle weight Frame?

-

dungo

Finally riding a big boys bike
I know this is a dumb question. What is it exactly that is the difference between a middleweight frame, and a heavy weight frame? Like a schwinn phantom, and Jaguar have the same looking frames, but one is a heavy weight and one is a middle weight. So whats the difference?
:D

one thing I've learned is

The rear dropout is a different size on the heavyweight vs the middle weight, I believe it's 3.00" on a HeavyW and 2.5" on the MW, partly because of the fender and tire width. You measure the top rear piece that the rear fender attached to, right past the seat post tube.

There should be more change besides that, but that one tell on the frames.

i just seen this on another thread, somebody on there said if you take three fingers and put it in the triangle just above the rear fender and if its tight its a middleweight, a heavy there will be some gaps between the frame and your fingers.

Here Is Your Proof

Here are some pics, Its probably the most asked question from new schwinn owners, The first is a balloon frame- ie phantom,b6,dx,panther,hornet,wasp etc, including womens bikes
The second measurement is typical middle weight,corvette,jaguar,american,typhoon etc including womens. and still the same for hand brake models
sorry for the crappy pics,
8bc8191b-1.jpg
7ccc3533-1.jpg

Back