When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Roadbike Should I Keep?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hilarious- steel resonates and makes you climb better.

That Bianchi screams upright bike tour Fred while the Cannondale is clearly set up for a more aggressive and aero position. The exact same rider would be faster on that Cannondale on any course.

here's the mode shape mr. hilarious
the natural frequency is right at 60-70 rpm, right where you mash up a hill
It's not free energy, but it's more efficient use of your little bit of extra mashing energy.
Chase me up a hill sometime.

it's those pencil-thin steel seat stays that make a bike climb.
Frame builders didn't do the modal analysis, but they designed good climbing frames from feel and results.
aaP5260002.jpg

Last edited:
It's not free energy, but it's more efficient use of your little bit of extra mashing energy.

Frame builders didn't do the modal analysis, but they designed good climbing frames from feel and results.
aaP5260002.jpg

Great info,most people don't understand metallurgy,harmonics,resonance so they tend to believe it is all hogwash...you can make them go to school but you can't make them learn.

I'd say the Bianchi.

1. Ergo shifters, what looks like a triple crank and more comfortable saddle & bar set up.
2. Longer chain stays and a shorter top tube length.

The type of riding you plan on doing is a big factor. Like Autocycleplane mentioned, distance/hours in the saddle and terrain goals would be nice to know. Cannondale looks to be a more aggressive bike. The Bianchi seems to be a bit more comfort oriented.

And that $4000 dollar Bianchi?
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/vintage/eroica/

You'd have to be a fool, a serious retro grouch or just think its cool to look like you road out from 40 years ago. Your paying for a looks. Nothing like non aero brake levers, downtube shifting and 3 piece cranks for $4000. Those components are a step backwards. I hope it comes with an aluminum water bottle and a Italian leather helmet.

The argument between Aluminum, steel, carbon and titanium is something no one is ever going to win. It's all preference. Pluses and minuses to each.

A few more things to consider. Which bike will you want to ride 10 years from now?

Then there is intrinsic value. Cannondale collectors is a small club, and it's likely worth more now than it will be later. For many it will be just another aluminum bike. A steel Bianchi will always retain value.

As far as the competitive aspect, either bike is obsolete. As far as hours in the saddle, your body may make the Cannondale obsolete.

Any bike frame is a platform for wheels and tires, and you can always change the nature of a bike by improving these.

If you want to improve drivetrain, that will always be an option, as well.
(my daughter's '86 Team Fuji w/ 9sp Ultegra, Kinlin wheelset and Campy Chorus brakes)
fujidrive4.jpg

Last edited:
to me, the frame sizes look about the same, around 52 cm, but that long stem on the Cannondale makes the reach exceptional.
My daughter is running a stem about 5cm shorter reach on her Fuji.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/what-is-planing/

This is a rather unscientific experiment at best for him to reach such conclusions. The comments, the laws of physics, and the bicycle industry at large seems to shred most of the methodology and findings of his "research". I find it hard to believe that multi-million dollar professional cycling teams sacrificed a huge performance gain when they went from their magic bouncy steel to carbon in a matter of just a few seasons to feed some vast conspiracy between bike companies and "big carbon" to destroy the small steel bike maker.

Ride what you want, I don't care. Tire size and pressure along with bike geometry makes the most difference in ride quality anyway. I will take my 15lb plastic marvel over anything ferrous but that's me. I raced and rode on steel bikes with downtube shifters in the '80s as a teen, been there done that.

Chase you up a hill? Come on out - we have some real ones here in California. I'll give you a 20 minute head start on little old Mt Tam so I don't have to wait so long for you at the top. Or we can meet up at Tahoe for the 80 mile ride around the lake where I'll give you an hour to get going. There are some fun climbs on that one and I will have beer and snacks ready at the brewpub at the end.

Here's a preview of what this will look like from your perspective as I roll by:

IMG_9392.JPG

Needling aside, I would be happy to show you around if you are ever in the area. There are lots of randonneur types around here so you will fit right in.

Magic bouncy steel, you gotta admit that's a good one.

it's an observation shared by many people, and Jan's attempt to quantify it, or at least demonstrate it.
Nor is it his only attempt and there are other empirical analyses of "planing."
(people who ride in constant cadence will have a hard time with this)
Attacking a bluff climb and feeling yourself accelerate up the hill for a surprisingly small effort, because you and your bike are literally working in harmony.
Nothing magic, nothing bouncy.
Vibration mode shapes and orders are real. Some are detrimental, some are beneficial.
These days on carbon frames, they're doing the modal analysis to enhance the beneficial ones and stiffen out the detrimental ones.
While the approach with aluminum has been to stiffen out everything.
An example of a detrimental mode is putting a big rear rack load on a race frame. The flex in the main triangle is awful - even dangerous - but without a big rear rack load, the flex in the main triangle is pleasant.

Very similar to the arguments about tire pressure. Many people believe higher pressure is faster, because the chatter they feel is ragged edge.
In fact, tire chatter is greater rolling resistance, because the wheels lose momentum every time they leave the road and recontact. A softer tire that conforms to the pavement is faster.

And when you run a magazine with the circulation of Bicycle Quarterly, your opinion about his opinion with carry some weight.
that's me holding your needling.
Lycra - I bet you're wearing a diaper, too.

Last edited:
Back