When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whizzer Spoke Size?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Western-Whizzer

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I was wondering if anybody knows what the factory spoke size was on a 1940's WZ Schwinn bicycle? Was it .105, or .120 gauge? Also, does anybody have any kind of spoke chart showing the different spoke sizes, or spoke diameters in millimeters? I am trying to figure out what I have already, or what I need? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Thank you, I have several factory Whizzer wheels, but I don't know what size the spokes are? I am hoping that they are .105 so they will match your hub. :)

I'd bet all the factory Whizzers had the 120 spokes.

Designed Especially for Bicycle Motors

Schwinn Tubular Rims, Spring Fork, 120 Gauge Spokes, Electronically Welded Frame and Heavy Duty Expander Brakes are required features On Any Motorized Bicycle. Only Schwinn Has All These To Offer.

• Model WZ507 - for Whizzer Motor installation.
  • Model No. MP97 - for use with Marman Motor.

I'd bet all the factory Whizzers had the 120 spokes.

Designed Especially for Bicycle Motors

Schwinn Tubular Rims, Spring Fork, 120 Gauge Spokes, Electronically Welded Frame and Heavy Duty Expander Brakes are required features On Any Motorized Bicycle. Only Schwinn Has All These To Offer.

• Model WZ507 - for Whizzer Motor installation.
  • Model No. MP97 - for use with Marman Motor.
I forgot about that old ad. Thank you!

Hi, I just recently bought what I believe are .120 gauge spokes, but they are bigger then the spokes on all five of my factory Whizzer's. I thought Whizzer's all had .120 gauge spokes.
I measured the diameter on my Whizzer spokes and they are between 2.65 and 2.70 the .120 gauge spokes that I just bought measure 3.00 in thickness. Do all five of my stock whizzers have .105 gauge spokes? Or are the new spokes bigger then .120 gauge spokes? A chart of spoke diameters would be nice. Thank you!

Regardless of what the ad below says, all of my factory WZ507's and MP97's have .105"/2.70mm spokes. I wonder why the ad said they were .120" which is 3.00mm ho knows?
Does anybody have a factory WZ507 with .120 gauge spokes?
wz507.jpg

Last edited:
Here is something interesting, and of coarse some spokes may have been replaced. My wheel in the photo below has both gauges, .105, and .120
wz1.jpg
wz2.jpg
wz3.jpg

I would think that all Schwinn produced Whizzers had the 120 spokes. If a bike was retrofitted with a Whizzer kit, the wheels were probably left as is and quite possibly had the 105 ga. spokes. Just my thoughts though.

I would think that all Schwinn produced Whizzers had the 120 spokes. If a bike was retrofitted with a Whizzer kit, the wheels were probably left as is and quite possibly had the 105 ga. spokes. Just my thoughts though.
I am not 100% sure, but I think you bought the heavy duty bike equipped for a Whizzer engine, and then bought the Whizzer kit separately. I would guess that both dealers, and customers would install the motor kit, but the kits did not come with larger spokes. I just think for whatever reason Shwinnn abandoned the idea of .120 gauge spokes, and went with .105 spokes. Or the ad was a typo. Out of all 5 of my stock bikes, you would think at least one would have .120 gauge spokes.

Last edited:
Back