When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made "Black Beauty" badged bikes??? and Mont. Wards "De Luxe"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Stay tuned.

Carlton

Dude, come on and spill the beens! We are all in agreement that we have yet to scratch the surface of some of the dealings of the teens era bikes.

Okay, until you post your findings I'm just gonna make up a bunch of hoo haa and eventually one of them will be close to being right and I'll be able to say "told you so."

Haverford, as one of the largest jobbers of bicycles in the country would buy from every available manufacturer to insure being invited to the Atlantic City bicycle conventions each year.

Haverford, as one of the largest jobbers of bicycles in the country would buy from every available manufacturer to insure a wide variety of frame styles and keep competition tight by threatening to drop a particular manufacturer if they didn't get the price they wanted.

Haverford, as one of the largest jobbers of bicycles in the country would buy from every available manufacturer to keep up with Sears and James Mead with their mail order business.

Haverford, as one of the largest jobbers of bicycles in the country would buy from every available manufacturer to insure confusion and misinformation on a web forum almost one hundred years later.

Haverford, as one of the largest jobbers of bicycles in the country would buy from H P Snyder because he was a US Congressman and Haverford could always use some muscle in DC to get favorable tax status as a manufacturer rather than a resale merchant. So this was part of a conspiracy to hide the truth about Haverford as an assembler/jobber rather than a true builder of bikes.

Haverford was a successful jobber that sold all of it's locations and naming to Snyder in the early twenties because Snyder was looking for more DP Harris hardware locations and Haverford had a large, organized infrastructure. This was just as the "cycle shop" was being replaced by the hardware store which would also carry bicycles.

The jobbers were just as much puppets as the manufacturers were with all the bicycle parts trade manufactures pushing their product to be carried on your shops bikes. Tire companies like Firestone were leading the charge pushing their tires on the public in your stores and meanwhile holding shares in essence by putting up the tires as credit. Companies would be shut down from these creditors just as so many before when a "call for cash" is made by the creditors and all the creditors include: Frame manufacturers, Hub manufacturers, Spoke Manufacturers, Fender and Tank Manufacturers, Handlebar, pedals, chain, tubing, Rims and tires/rubber. Haverford was loosing the battle to mail order and hardware stores.

Last edited:
Oooh, you're so close...I've discovered Haverford had multiple tentacles in the bicycle industry. It certainly was interesting to me to discover Haverford Cycle Co., was more than a retailer! Check out this compilation, it’s part of a 4-page article, showcasing all of the trade; part suppliers, distributors, jobbers, and manufacturers…look who's among the bicycle builders (center row, 11 from the top)?

c99f99a5e8ce43f799a25b95abff01f5png-1.jpg

There so much to share...here’s a tad to whet your appetite, until I’m able to get all of my findings together to present.

ScreenShot20131221at93117PMpng-1.jpg

ScreenShot20131221at93442PMpng-1.jpg

ScreenShot20131222at115537PMpng-1.jpg

Haverford shops were scattered all over the east. They were set up more as a brick an mortar retail outlet vs the mail order companies of Mead and Sears. In the late teens they were loosing the battle so they started to produce a catalog and try the mail order method. Problem was, they didn't have a distribution and crating system like the other mail order companies. Just look at how these bikes are being treated. How many chips in the paint before it even made it under the Christmas Tree.:(

attachment.php

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Oooh, you're so close...I've discovered Haverford had multiple tentacles in the bicycle industry. It certainly was interesting to me to discover Haverford Cycle Co., was more than a retailer! Check out this compilation, it’s part of a 4-page article, showcasing all of the trade; part suppliers, distributors, jobbers, and manufacturers…look who's among the bicycle builders (center row, 11 from the top)?

Well if you look at the WHOLE series of that trade magazine they are only listed once on the manufacturers list. I think this had to do with their side-car they made called a Side Seat.

The motorcycle was just a March-Metz clone with a Haverford decal.

They appear only as a Jobber on most of the other lists of Motorcycling & Bicycling Review

The clip you posted was from Nov of 1914

In the next issue and going forward they are NOT listed as a bicycle manufacturer but are listed in the "Side Seat" section.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
So did Haverford make the two seater or supply it. Check out the dates of the M-M motorcycle? Chicken or egg?

So did Haverford make the two seater or supply it. Check out the dates of the M-M motorcycle? Chicken or egg?

Marsh Metz goes back to 1909 I believe. There were many other brandings of the Marsh-Metz including the ARROW.
attachment.php

Last edited:
My research says the Haverford was built by the American Motor Company of Brockton from 1909 through 1914. It was later re-badged Marsh-Metz.

http://metzauto.wordpress.com/category/marsh-metz-motorcycle/

Metz Leaves American Motor Company

Metz Leaves American Motor Company
Motorcycle Illustrated
January 15, 1909 Page #8

C.H. Metz for three years mechanical head off the American Motor
Company, Brockton, Mass., announces his retirement from that firm. He
has purchased the Waltham Manufacturing Company’s plant, at Waltham
Mass. This concern makes the Orient automobile, and by his new
acquirement Mr Metz becomes the largest individual operator of an
automobile plant in America, the capacity of the Orient factory being
5,000 cars a season.

Since 1882 Mr. Metz has had experience along the
inventing, manufacturing and selling end of bicycles, motorcycles
and automobiles. He is a man of undeniable inventive talent, as well as a
practical man. He started in 1882 as an enthusiastic rider of the
high wheel bicycle. In 1885 he was the champion racing man in central
New York State, his home being in Utica.

In 1886 he commenced to manufacture bicycle attachments.
In 1891 he led the crusade for lighter bicycle construction; in 1893
he organized the Waltham Manufacturing Company, makers of the
Orient bicycle, which concern he has just bought. And he increased
their output in three years up to 4,500 machines per annum, while in
1897 the total number of machines manufactured was 15,000.
In 1898, the concern started to manufacture automobiles, and also,
for the first time, produced a motorcycle. In 1902 they built Metz motorcycle,
and on this Mr. Metz made a mile record straightaway of 1.10 2-5, which
was an extraordinary record for those days. In 1905 Mr. Metz affiliated
himself with the American Motor Company, and the next year, marketed
the Marsh-Metz motorcycles. Surely this is a fine record, and no doubt Mr.
Metz will still further enhance it in his now enterprise.

It looks as if the American Motor Company was just selling off old stock (for some years) to anyone that wanted to have their own private brand motorcycle. Cashing in on the MM design.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info...so you'd agree motorcycling was a passion of Max M. Sladkin?
1125bdda463f4d0d8e97005e5c96eef4png-1.jpg

21b4574fc9164b689b21c27e1b98f6dbpng-1.jpg

ScreenShot20131223at11135AMpng-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back