When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wright Brothers Day

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

facair55

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was invited to participate in the 6th annual Wright Brothers Day held on October 5th, 2016, at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. This event celebrates how the innovative spirit of the Wright Brothers is shown in today’s history and innovations from Wright State and the local area. Because I own an 1897 Wright Era bicycle, they wanted me to display it at the event. The original Wright Brothers bikes are too valuable to bring out. (5 known surviving bicycles made by the Wright Brothers are known to exist) My bike is very close to theirs in appearance. The Wright era bicycle that I brought to the event is an 1897 Gormully & Jeffery Rambler Light Roadster Model 19 built during the height of the bicycle craze in American. The Wright Brothers repaired and sold bicycles similar to this one. Most of the bicycles of this period had spoon brakes, wooden rims and single tube tires. The coaster brake was in general use by the early 1900’s. My restored Chicago-made bicycle features spear-point reinforcing on the frame and fork, brazed flared tubing, wrap-around head-badge, a reversible seat post, and original cork grips. Originally, it had a rare foot-operated spoon brake mounted on the fork which was removed. An Eclipse coaster brake (patent 1908) was installed early in the bicycle’s history. Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. (1878-1900) sold its bicycle business and then evolved making the Rambler automobile and then became American Motors Corporation (AMC).

The two men in the picture are portraying the Wright Brothers. There has never been found a picture of either of the Wright Brothers on a bicycle or standing near a bicycle. Well, I am lucky that I have a depiction of the impossible.
WB_Cycle_medium.jpg

I was invited to participate in the 6th annual Wright Brothers Day held on October 5th, 2016, at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. This event celebrates how the innovative spirit of the Wright Brothers is shown in today’s history and innovations from Wright State and the local area. Because I own an 1897 Wright Era bicycle, they wanted me to display it at the event. The original Wright Brothers bikes are too valuable to bring out. (5 known surviving bicycles made by the Wright Brothers are known to exist) My bike is very close to theirs in appearance. The Wright era bicycle that I brought to the event is an 1897 Gormully & Jeffery Rambler Light Roadster Model 19 built during the height of the bicycle craze in American. The Wright Brothers repaired and sold bicycles similar to this one. Most of the bicycles of this period had spoon brakes, wooden rims and single tube tires. The coaster brake was in general use by the early 1900’s. My restored Chicago-made bicycle features spear-point reinforcing on the frame and fork, brazed flared tubing, wrap-around head-badge, a reversible seat post, and original cork grips. Originally, it had a rare foot-operated spoon brake mounted on the fork which was removed. An Eclipse coaster brake (patent 1908) was installed early in the bicycle’s history. Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. (1878-1900) sold its bicycle business and then evolved making the Rambler automobile and then became American Motors Corporation (AMC).

The two men in the picture are portraying the Wright Brothers. There has never been found a picture of either of the Wright Brothers on a bicycle or standing near a bicycle. Well, I am lucky that I have a depiction of the impossible.
View attachment 373911

I graduated from WSU in the spring. I was blessed to be a member the WSU chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA). The AMA puts this show on every year and is practically a tradition for Wright State. In 2015, I had the idea to orchestrate a classic and antique bicycle show by the main door of the student union building. About 7 bicycles were there, including a high-wheel replica loaned to us from Carillon Park.

The AMA President is still a student there, and I was pleased to hear that the bicycle idea returned this year. It's an important part of the Wright Brother's (and Dayton's) story!

As a matter of fact, if you search in the "Swap Meets and Events" forum, you'll find my post about last year's show!
As a matter of fact, if you search in the "Swap Meets and Events" forum, you'll find my post about last year's show!
I really had a wonderful time at the Wright Bros. Day. The main reason I attended the event was to display a set of tools used in the Wright Airplane Company in 1913. I just happened to have mentioned to the organizer that I owned a Wright Era Bicycle and was told to bring it (the only cycle there). By the way, I watched a video from last year's show to get a feel of the event. You were in the video with your nice collection of bicycles.

Just one photo?.... Please tell us there was more to see. Please post any other photos you have from this.

I really had a wonderful time at the Wright Bros. Day. The main reason I attended the event was to display a set of tools used in the Wright Airplane Company in 1913. I just happened to have mentioned to the organizer that I owned a Wright Era Bicycle and was told to bring it (the only cycle there). By the way, I watched a video from last year's show to get a feel of the event. You were in the video with your nice collection of bicycles.
Here is the only video I know of..enjoy
http://webapp2.wright.edu/web1/news...lebrated-universitys-innovative-spirit/#video

Wonderful story. I have a friend in Maine who grew up in New Jersey. Her great grandfather made the instruments for the early Wright Flyers. He was some type of engineer and designed pressure gauges for steam engines and other needs. Her parents had a cabinet full of letters from the Wrights as well as a complete instrument panel from a Wright Model B flyer. I recall it had 3 or 4 dials, oil pressure, speed, and maybe fuel levels. They had donated many items to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum but had what amounted to a small Wright Brothers Museum in their home.

As someone who grew up building both plastic and balsa/paper aircraft models I've always been fascinated with their story. My dad was a WWII Army Air Corp and Korea vet who owned a hobby shop between in the wars in LA. Aircraft history was a common topic growing up. I've taken my kids to Kitty Hawk and someday I'd love to visit Dayton.

Hope the event lives on and grows.
Gary

Thank you! Tim Fox (foxclassics here on the CABE) also participated. Most of the bikes out front were made in Ohio. I enjoyed my time at WSU and with the AMA. I wish I went there for all four years, instead of only my junior and senior year, it was a great experience!

Back