When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ww I Columbia Military Model

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
System Administrator
I'f I'm not mistaken, I believe I have a "Military Model" circa 1918 ish? USA serial number and fragments of original O.D. Green paint in some areas under the two previous paintjobs (red, then black) lead me to believe so. What throws me off, is the original nickel plating on the crankset, seat post, headset, etc. Do all of these have the USA preceding the serial number?

WW1 Military Columbia-001.jpg

WW1 Military Columbia-002.jpg

WW1 Military Columbia-003.jpg

WW1 Military Columbia-006.jpg

WW1 Military Columbia-008.jpg

Hi Dave, yes to USA prefix. Bear in mind that Columbia continued to sell them on the civilian market for at least three years after 1918. They built more frames than were shipped overseas. The original frames (and paint) presumably sold with civilian parts for post-1918 sales.
However, even mine found in France (serial USA2??5) has nickelled parts. I can only assume that nickel was used because there were no US cycle corps and it was not envisaged that American troops would be going into battle on them.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/world-war-one/1918-columbia-military-model/

Thanks Colin! Now to decide what to do with it? I can't "restore them all".. and I have a lot of them!

Back