PDA

View Full Version : Schwinn Spitfire Wheel Conundrum

Santa Cruiser
02-26-2010, 09:57 PM
A buddy gave me a rusty '56 Schwinn Spitfire that I've been using for a daily rider. I can't help myself from doing another shade tree restoration and am starting on the wheels. I cut the spokes out of both painted and pinstriped rims and realized the front wheel was a drop center and the back wheel was an S-7. The front hub was scripted Schwinn approved from Germany and the back hub says Perry B-100, England on the brake arm. The cream paint and red pinstripes matched on both. Is this some crazy mismatch?

how
02-27-2010, 06:50 AM
nothing unusual, the front hub and the rear hub not matching. On most three speeds the rear hub is Sturmey Archer and the front hub , they used those german hubs or other ones. On a Schwinn Heavy Duti same thing,,front hub was german back hub could of been mexican or american. Nothing strange at all.

PCHiggin
02-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Does it have a cantilever frame? A late '56 would be a middleweight,using that style frame and S-7 rims.The Perry hub makes sense as this is an entry level model. I'd have to see that front rim,Schwinn was making thier own rims for a long time by then,it could have been swapped during a repair,bent rim or axle.Who knows?

Pat

pedaling pete
02-27-2010, 07:34 PM
When I first started in this hobby 25 years ago I found and sold numerous middle weight sshwinns . Most had the 2 styles of winged chainguard-50s. Single speed rear hubs that I worked on were Bendix-RB-RB2 Schwinn Approved(Komet) New departure. They all had S-7 rims. The S-7 is a little taller than a drop center rim and used a 1 3/4 tire-Westwind or Tractor. Drop center rims take a 1.75 tire. Schwinn also made a spitfire tire that was 1 3/4. The perry B-100 Ive seen more on an Evans or Huffy and I in my opinion is a much better hub than a bendix because of roller bearings on driving sleeve. I have seen Schwinn approved (Germany) on front hub of era. Pistol Pete Port Huron,Mi.