Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HeyScotE Guest

Default My first find! A 1963 Schwinn "Bicycle Built for Two" Tandem

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Y'all,

Well, after lurking here long enough I finally got me a bike - a 1963 Schwinn "Bicycle Built for Two" tandem. I am pretty excited. I am just starting my research, but it looks to my newby eyes to be fairly original (but what do I know? I will throw pictures up here and let the experts chime in...) Looks like original two-tone Schwinn seats, tires, hand grips, I am not sure about the pedals but all four are the same and pristine.

It is a little rusty but as we all know that will clean up...

Let me know what you think!

Cannot figure out how to post picture right now - so here is a link to my Flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyscot...7624547400242/

Thanks for looking and commenting people!
    Last edited by HeyScotE; 07-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Nice find,it's in great condition and that Radiant Blue really pops. Those were made only two years,'63 and '64 so it's a rare one.That basket is really handy for a couple of bottles of wine and a blanket. I have a '78 Deluxe Twinn and a '75 Columbia Twosome, they're a blast with the right company.

Pat
    Last edited by PCHiggin; 07-20-2010 at 06:39 PM.

HeyScotE Guest

Default Pictures

0 Not allowed!

(More of an experiment in placing pictures than anything....

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!
    I believe those tires and pedals are newer, but what a great bike! I worked at a job once and the homeowner had one in the garage. Very similar, but it was campus green, and they weren't interested in selling it.
    -Adam, tinkerer of old bikes...and everything else!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Nice score. The BBFT version of the Schwinn tandem doesn't show up very often. You'll want to get fresh grease in all the bearings before putting many miles on it, fresh grease will make a big difference in how it rides. Kenda makes some whitewall tires to fit the S-7 rims. The 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 size is what you want. I've had several Schwinn tandems over the years, usually found the handle bars to be too low (but I'm over 6'). I found that cruiser bars in the front and '68-style Sting-Ray bars in the back made them more comfortable.
    Cheers, Geoff
    For the Schwinn folks: www.greenephantom.com/books_and_catalogs

Schwinn Heavyweight Guide 1946 - 1964, NOW AVAILABLE. This book is awesome.

Schwinn Middleweight Catalog Comp 1955 - 1970, full color guide to Schwinn's Middleweights.

New Book: 1946 1948 1952 1953 Schwinn Catalog Compilation, limited print run of 100.

Knowledge is power!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Nice find! Where did you get it?
    Rest in Peace Robin Williams, 1951-2014. A man who brought joy and happiness to millions, a man who was a bright light in a very dark room that we call life here on Earth. On August 11, 2014, he left the surely bonds of Earth to touch the face of God. The world will miss you.

"WE'RE GONNA BE THE HAP-HAP-HAPPIEST IDIOTS THIS SIDE OF THE NUT HOUSE!"
    - CLARK GRISWOLD

WANTING TO BUY 1965 HUFFY CATALOG AND WESTERN AUTO CATALOG 1986-1988.

HeyScotE Guest

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by classicfan1 View Post
    Nice find! Where did you get it?
    I found it on my local (Washington DC/Northern Virginia) Craigslist. The seller had a buyer and I emailed her and said that if he did not show up I would buy it from her. She emailed me saying her buyer bailed and it was mine if I wanted it ~ paid $175 which may have been a little high, but I sure got a kick out of pumping up the rear tire and riding it around the block last night!!!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 22

0 Not allowed!
    Rode it by yourself?! Wasn't that hard?
    Rest in Peace Robin Williams, 1951-2014. A man who brought joy and happiness to millions, a man who was a bright light in a very dark room that we call life here on Earth. On August 11, 2014, he left the surely bonds of Earth to touch the face of God. The world will miss you.

"WE'RE GONNA BE THE HAP-HAP-HAPPIEST IDIOTS THIS SIDE OF THE NUT HOUSE!"
    - CLARK GRISWOLD

WANTING TO BUY 1965 HUFFY CATALOG AND WESTERN AUTO CATALOG 1986-1988.

HeyScotE Guest

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by classicfan1 View Post
    Rode it by yourself?! Wasn't that hard?
    Yeah, well, I guess I'm not too bright...the thing is a beast, and single speed. My Dr. did tell me to get some exercise...

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Nice find! I believe the first letter of the serial number is an "A"?

We have an "A351146" serial '63 BBFT in the same color as yours. My wife found it on Craigslist and said we should go look at it at least. It was quite a sight - no wheels, fork stuck in the ground to hold it upright, but we bought it for $20 anyway. The frame is sound, and what surprised me more than anything was that while knowing it had been sitting out in the weather for at least four years (according to the seller), everything on it unbolted and came off with no problems. The frame is hanging in the little shed and will eventually get built back to a rideable bike.

The odd part is we already had (still have) a '64 (E414493) BBFT labeled bike. The '64 is the second style frame where both front and rear top bars are angled but the guard still, though very faded, says it is a BBFT. This one is rideable (though not quite the way it came!) and we get it out periodically for some togetherness riding. I have the fenders for it, but have yet to put them back on. They are something I bought after the bike (as are the pedals!) because the ones that were on it were REALLY bad.

Photos:
    '63 (The ad photo!)

'64

Keep posting progress on yours, I like to see what goes on with these!
    REC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast