When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first find! A 1963 Schwinn "Bicycle Built for Two" Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
H

HeyScotE

Hey Y'all,

Well, after lurking here long enough I finally got me a bike - a 1963 Schwinn "Bicycle Built for Two" tandem. I am pretty excited. I am just starting my research, but it looks to my newby eyes to be fairly original (but what do I know? I will throw pictures up here and let the experts chime in...) Looks like original two-tone Schwinn seats, tires, hand grips, I am not sure about the pedals but all four are the same and pristine.

It is a little rusty but as we all know that will clean up...

Let me know what you think!

Cannot figure out how to post picture right now - so here is a link to my Flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyscote/sets/72157624547400242/

Thanks for looking and commenting people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find,it's in great condition and that Radiant Blue really pops. Those were made only two years,'63 and '64 so it's a rare one.That basket is really handy for a couple of bottles of wine and a blanket. I have a '78 Deluxe Twinn and a '75 Columbia Twosome, they're a blast with the right company.

Pat

Last edited:
Pictures

4813278567_031a50b875_m-1.jpg

4813901868_f675e8faa1_m-1.jpg

4813303241_e01214c4ba_z-1.jpg

4813279307_611d15c32c_z-1.jpg

4813278739_d68a941222_z-1.jpg

4813278383_6913e74242_m-1.jpg

4813901480_e1424fa29a_m-1.jpg

(More of an experiment in placing pictures than anything....:)

I believe those tires and pedals are newer, but what a great bike! I worked at a job once and the homeowner had one in the garage. Very similar, but it was campus green, and they weren't interested in selling it.

Nice score. The BBFT version of the Schwinn tandem doesn't show up very often. You'll want to get fresh grease in all the bearings before putting many miles on it, fresh grease will make a big difference in how it rides. Kenda makes some whitewall tires to fit the S-7 rims. The 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 size is what you want. I've had several Schwinn tandems over the years, usually found the handle bars to be too low (but I'm over 6'). I found that cruiser bars in the front and '68-style Sting-Ray bars in the back made them more comfortable.
Cheers, Geoff

Nice find! Where did you get it?

I found it on my local (Washington DC/Northern Virginia) Craigslist. The seller had a buyer and I emailed her and said that if he did not show up I would buy it from her. She emailed me saying her buyer bailed and it was mine if I wanted it ~ paid $175 which may have been a little high, but I sure got a kick out of pumping up the rear tire and riding it around the block last night!!!

Nice find! I believe the first letter of the serial number is an "A"?

We have an "A351146" serial '63 BBFT in the same color as yours. My wife found it on Craigslist and said we should go look at it at least. It was quite a sight - no wheels, fork stuck in the ground to hold it upright, but we bought it for $20 anyway. The frame is sound, and what surprised me more than anything was that while knowing it had been sitting out in the weather for at least four years (according to the seller), everything on it unbolted and came off with no problems. The frame is hanging in the little shed and will eventually get built back to a rideable bike.

The odd part is we already had (still have) a '64 (E414493) BBFT labeled bike. The '64 is the second style frame where both front and rear top bars are angled but the guard still, though very faded, says it is a BBFT. This one is rideable (though not quite the way it came!) and we get it out periodically for some togetherness riding. I have the fenders for it, but have yet to put them back on. They are something I bought after the bike (as are the pedals!) because the ones that were on it were REALLY bad.

Photos:
'63 (The ad photo!)

'64

Keep posting progress on yours, I like to see what goes on with these!
REC

Back