Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingday View Post
    Wow!
    Tim,
    I just spent a boatload of money on something very near and dear to my heart, otherwise I would be all over your Jewel tank Double Duty Autocycle at $8,500.00 bucks.
    That bike is without a doubt, one of, if not thee best bikes in the hobby, hands down!
    I wish that opportunity had come up a few months ago. I didn't think that there was a chance that you would ever sell that bike.
    There really arn't many other bikes that I have seen that I would rather have than that one. You shouldn't sell it at any price, because I don't think you could ever find one any better.
    But that's just my opinion
    Sell an existing bike and upgrade. You are right. I will never find another like it. If it sells it sells, if not, no biggee. I haven't been actively pursuing it. In fact, the first I mentioned it was on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by Djshakes View Post
    Sell an existing bike and upgrade. You are right. I will never find another like it. If it sells it sells, if not, no biggee. I haven't been actively pursuing it. In fact, the first I mentioned it was on this page.
    Tim, Great bike, is there a story behind it?

Here is the BIG question???? Drum roll please....... Are all the "painted parts" ORIGINAL to the bike or pieced together?

This is a lesson for bike people to realize some of the bikes out there, ESPECIALLY Schwinns have been "UPGRADED"
    with same era and color, BETTER condition, fenders, tanks, frames, and forks.

What Mike Wolfe has, from that pic of his Canti Grail, is documented proof of a "barn" find condition bike that will show that the painted parts are original to each other as a group.

regards,
    thesaint
    redondo beach, ca

I have nothing to hide. I found the fork and added it. It matches perfectly. I still have the original locking truss fork also. I could pass it off as original because no one would be able to tell, however, I am honest.

We'll I think enough said about that. Updgrading the fork to a perfectly matched DD fork is far from a bike being "pieced together". And commendable it's disclosed and the original fork goes with the bike. Doesn't get any better than that!
    Mark (So. Cal)
    markivpedalpusher@gmail.com
    949-933-9795
    For So. Cal events click Cyclone Coaster here

Man so cool can someone get his contact info for me? Thank you so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    Tim, Great bike, is there a story behind it?

Here is the BIG question???? Drum roll please....... Are all the "painted parts" ORIGINAL to the bike or pieced together?

This is a lesson for bike people to realize some of the bikes out there, ESPECIALLY Schwinns have been "UPGRADED"
    with same era and color, BETTER condition, fenders, tanks, frames, and forks.

What Mike Wolfe has, from that pic of his Canti Grail, is documented proof of a "barn" find condition bike that will show that the painted parts are original to each other as a group.

regards,
    thesaint
    redondo beach, ca
    I don't see the harm in parting a bike together if that's the only way you can acquire one especially if you are keeping it for yourself or disclosing it when you sell it.
    Nothing against Mike because I think he is a great person that I have not had the privilege to meet, but if you want to get technical his bike is now parted together.

Yikes,
    I did not wish to imply anything wrong with Schwinn bikes being improved upon or parted together with better
    condition painted parts.

Tim is a great guy, I simply wanted to ask if there was a story or history of that "captain nemo/Nautilus eyed" jewel tank bike. Did it come from a rich kid back in the Depression, did it hang in some spinster's attic for fiddy' years, did it
    emerge unscathed from an abandoned bike shop, was it rescued from a Schwinn hating Frenchy' bike guy or what????
    I should have just asked outright if those DD Forks were original to the bike or not?!

For the record, if you are familiar with the "rare" Double Duty Forks, it is worth knowing whether any given bike had those with to begin with, just imagine that very bike equipped with those forks rolling out of the store back in 1938 or so, yes that is a tangible value, but for some it may be worth a little more knowing that. Did most of the DD Forks out there come from overstock and never on a bike or rescued from bikes and restored onto deluxe bikes?

How many bikes have you Schwinn Detectives seen that were ORIGINALLY equipped with DD Forks?? A good friend and Schwinn Maestro tells me he has seen several DD equipped Cantis. Ive only seen one in pics, a Maroon example from Mark Matteo's Attic O' Bikes collection. Ive never seen a Straight bar or Jewel Bike with DD Forks except for Tim's bike. Yes some of you guys, CyclingDay, Tim and others DO the legwork and hunt down those leads with wheelbarrows of cash and trinkets, I however have only gotten lucky with eBAY and have LONG given up on finding a 38 canti tank....

Savvvy???

theSaint
    redondo beach, ca
    Last edited by TheSaint; 10-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Sarmis,
    My bad. I guess I just took it wrong. Maybe because I have parted a lot of bikes together with at least a part or two. I am currently parting together a 39 tall frame dd fork straight bar autocycle, so if you see it posted here in months to come, almost every part came from a different bike. Happy Hunting.

I think it's a matter of degrees. Completely original would of course be best, however a swap with an original paint upgrade would be better than a bike completely put together from matching original paint parts. likewise I would value a complete restoration below these, and so on down the line.
    I suppose the real question is how do you feel about taking a bike that is already desirable and popping all the rare options and goodies on it that it didn't come with vs. keeping it the way it came. To me it doesn't matter much, I tend toward having it correct rather than having it as found. Some like them as found and will disagree with me. As long as the parts you add are the correct parts, I say go for it. Adding the valuable fork, I think, adds to the bike. I have seen bikes that were something else and were converted to a more valuable model and I disagree somewhat with that practice if it isn't stated up front if the bike is sold.
    Scott
    another day in the punch bowl.
    Small Stuff for Sale!
    http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?47677-Small-Parts-For-Sale
    Cyclone Coaster
    Ride Vintage!

Founder: Southern California Huffman Rescue
    Team Huffy!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast